A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Award Site: What do you expect to see?

Like the title already says: What do you expect to see on an (Flash) Award Site?

Do you want?:
    - Daily awards like Macromedia's SSOD?
    - A weekly award winner who is automaticly nominated for an monthly award?
    - Monthly awards with an interview with the winner?
    - Tips and Tricks wich are used on winning sites?
    - Resource files?
    - Chat facilities?
    - A section for upcominig designers?
    - Awards in different catagories (game, design, navigation, ...)?
    - etc. etc. etc.

Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated and will be taken in consideration.

PS. http://www.flash-awards.com can't be reached yet, there are still some minor problems to resolve with the server. Therefore we are using some temporary webspace wich can be reached if you click on the flashfooter. The serverproblem should be solved 10-12 septembre.

[Edited by -+- Flash-Awards -+- on 08-27-2000 at 11:55 AM]

id like to see interviews with award winners, they are interesting to read... as many sites as you find would be great, but is it possible to find a different deserving site every day... i didn't know there were that many.

I don't know if it is possible to find a great site everyday, but people can submit sites and people can give their own rating at the submitted sites, so i hope there are enough sites out there
    Interviews will certainly be given, it's always nice to know who is behind a site.

Smile everything

i towuld be great if you included a little bit of everything. daily awards are great, and a deservfing by-weekly site would be awesome. also, a resource, and tips and tricks section would rule. and some interviews.. and also a place where you can submit your site for awards.

Last Ju-Jitsu Warrior
    What about: Board's Best Member of the Week

Every week, if you have a board like this one, the best helping member will get the award...

Flash Movie of the Week, Tutorial OTW, Sound OTW - there's so many...

Probationary Member
    how about we vote on the best member since helping out doesn't really mean the BEST, coz you can write 600 messages in Genral Help in a day that mean nothing...

Your best board member of the week gave me a great idea = flash footer competition, not that i will have a forum on my site but i could give people wich use flashfooters like on flashkit and were-here a section where they can submit their footers and they will get an award for it if they win or something like that.

Dude...600 messages in a day and you're most likely spamming or something. Unless you're like me or something. 20 posts on the top of the Lounge because I come on the boards once a day and like to post everything at once.

NeoStealth Xero i don't know what you mean, i not spamming or something.

Last Ju-Jitsu Warrior
    I'm on vacation, I come every day to FLashkit - And I don't go over 50 posts a day! You can't write 600 Posts a day!

Anyway, I'm glad I brought up some good idea's...

Gosh, don't kill the boy, he was just making an example.
    And, 50 posts a day, let's see, 3 are really good.
    Posts at coffee lounge, cool sites and stuff shouldn't count (are you helping here).
    And don't brag about posts... what counts is the happiness of the helped people. That "poster/helper" of the week should be doing by nominating/voting for people (like the oscar award...)

About the flash-award.com, yes, a little of everything.
    - Daily awards like Macromedia's SSOD? <- BiDaily is better, I think
    - A weekly award winner who is automaticly nominated for an monthly award? <- sure, why not? get them from the (bi)daily ones.
    - Monthly awards with an interview with the winner? <- of course
    - Tips and Tricks wich are used on winning sites? <- surely
    - Resource files? <- I think there's enough sites (like flashkit) of these types, but... ehy not?
    - Chat facilities? <- that's what's missing here (if there's one here, I've no knowledge...)
    - A section for upcominig designers? <- uh?!
    - Awards in different catagories (game, design, navigation, ...)? <- yes yes
    - etc. etc. etc. <- surely, the most needed :P

Hope this helps you getting a super duper site.

Regards,
    Leo Lima

Thanks people for all your suggestions.

Leo Lima i agree with you there are alot of great resource sites out there, i think i gonna drop that idea of a resource section. Maybe sometimes if it's a really great effect or something i could give it.

Cheers

Well, if you need someone to help on testing/seeing the movies/pages, I am here...

Regards,
    Leo Lima

Thx Leo Lima i will keep you in mind

Cheers

If you're going to have a tips and tricks, you might want to mention some things which are bad design techniques or things which, if forgotten, really hurt the quality of a site. (Obvious examples would be have blaring music with no mute button, hard to find navigation buttons, text too small to read..) The obvious ones most of us know but there might be less obvious 'mistakes' we make without realising it (and I'm sure especially me since I'm new to flash )

Diaper Changer

Well alot has been said already and you've already pointed out the main things which an award site should have.

I just wanted to endorse the site tips, tricks, to-dos, etc sections. How submits the best tips, tricks, to-dos, source files, etc should get an award either monthly or quarterly.

And yeah... spamming is a BIG issue. Be it that your site will be giving away prizes please don't have one for most posts in a week... you'd be surprised to see 600 posts in one day

So honouring ppl for there hard work and not to mention time and dedication will indeed inspire greater productions. It's gonna be tuff but let the games begin man.

P P P P PEACE !!!

I don't think so....

In my opinion, awards are a waste of time. Do you create websites just to get a little .gif image to place on it? If you don't get one of these little pictures, does this mean your site is total crap? Are you supposed to think that because someone has received 10 awards for their page that it's the best in the world? I've visited sites that have 4, 5 or 6 awards and they turned out to be pretty bad. I think awards are just a way of showing off and don't mean a thing...

well, let us be
    I think awards that come from a good source (like flashkit) means a lot to you...

And I will make sites for awards, yes, my life is so boring now I am on vacation and my university friends all flew away...

regards,
    Leo LIma

I agree and disagree with you Logan.

I agree that because a site has won an award it isn't better than an other one.

But an award (a respected one) can give designers a little boost to do even better and can even give the designer more clients if you now what i mean.

The purpose of our site isn't just to give awards but it's also to display a lot of submitted sites, that could be good ones or bad ones. People can vote on them and you will know how your sites scores and get your own conclusions.

Sorry for the bad English but i'm in a bit of a hurry

Quick question: Why it's going to release only Nov 6th?
    Not bad for me, i can make a site till there :P

Regards,
    Leo Lima