A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: swish with dreamweaver

swish vs dreamweaver

I'm having the hardest time placing a Swish file in D'Weaver. I tried first inserting the "*.swi" file in D.W. by going to Insert>Media>Flash, but it didn't work. So, I changed the .swi file to ".swf" , and i dont think its still working... would someone plz tell me what i'm doing wrong... i'm using DW 3 and Swish 2.

Thanks.
    insanepoet@excite.com

i'm not sure... you didn't simply rename *.swi into*.swf? that wouldn't be the way...you have to export your swi file as a swf file. (File -> Export -> SWF)

You need to export the movie to .swf format within Swish. If your movie is finished, (in Swish) click "export" then "to swf", save your file...and then it should import fine into Dreamweaver.

If you already renamed the .swi to .swf, you will have to rename it back to .swi to reopen it in Swish.

SWiSH Forum
    FlaX FX Forum

Also

check the help file, you might want to use the full html that swish produces,rather than what is produced by DW.

Insanepoet

You need to make sure that the files are in the .swf format before you add them to your work in Dreamweaver. Then if I'm not mistaken you can align the .swf file within Dreamweaver.

UNified
    In Dreamweaver, simply click were you want the SWF inserted, click the "insert Flash"icon and its done. You then just have to fiddle with the position options.
    Easier than putting a footer up at Flashkt.
    I do suggest you just use the inbuilt Swish export options though, thats even easier.

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    the help files have a section on using swish made SWF with other software, including Dreamweaver. I would suggest you just follow that information.
    david p.

swish vs dreamweaver 2

First of all... thanks to everyone who replied to my post...
    Based on your advice, i tried to 'export' the "swi" file to "swf", but under the Export option, "SWF" isn't an option i can click on its not selectable...its faded does it mean that i cant do what i'm suppose to ?
    I tried to save the "swi" file as "swf" by File>SaveAS and then save the file as "swf" by manually typing that next to the file name... does it do it ?
    I tried to insert the "swi" file into DW, but after i save te file and open that in IE/Netscape, it pretends like its doing something, but in reality it doesn't do anything... why ?

Thanks
    InsanePoet.

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    what version are you using?
    is it registered?

you will never be able to see a swi file on the internet, it is the Swish working format. The only way to get your movie onto the internet is to export to .swf.
    david p.

UNified
    I'm assuming you have a Registered copy of Swish v.2 and not a trial period copy that has passed its 15 days, or a older beta test copy ??
    If its a registered copy, the file you are working on IN SWISH is the SWI file. To be able to publish the SWI file you have to export it as a SWF file. If you have a licensed copy you simply go to EXPORT as SWF.
    BTW you cannot insert a SWI file into Dreamweaver only the SWF.