A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: JPEG - way too pixleated

Hey Yall
    Im having a problem with my jpegs. Is there a certain optimized setting to import them in to Flash? - Everytime I do bring one in, they end up all pixleated.
    If you can help please do
    Thanks!

What pixel size is the image you importing? It may just be a small image to begin with. Try converting it to a bmp or png. I think flash supports those formats better.

Hi there,
    JPEG is a lossy compresion algorithm, meaning, when you compress a picture, some data is removed. The more you compress it, the more data is lost, forever. Try this: save a picture as JPEG. Close it, open it and save it again as JPEG. You will end up with a horrible looking picture, cuz you are compressing it again.

That´s exactly what is happening to your JPGs in Flash. You are importing a JPG. When you test or publish your movie, Flash is compressing your graphic again to JPEG.

That´s why it´s better to import 24-bit PNGs, cuz PNG is lossless. And you can tell Flash to use JPEG compression in your PNGs, so they won´t use lots of bytes. Also, you can have Alpha transparency at no extra cost.

Tip: graphics with millions of colors, soft transitions and no sharp edges, compress very well in JPEG format. You can blur the less important details, so they compress even more.

Hope this helps.

excellent help thanks. I was saving for web in Photoshop and then importing them into flash...sometimes I was re-editing them too?!?
    Thanks for your help people!