dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Gfx Tablets again........

Hi, i wanted to purchase a gfx tablet that will last me a while. I will spend upto, but not over 200. I think that allows me upto the Intuos A5? Anyway, i was looking at the Wacom Intuos and the Graphire. Im a complete newbie when it comes to drawing, but i do know that i would MUCh rather draw with a pen than a mouse. My question is would the cheaper tablet, the graphire, be sufficeient for when my skills improve? As i understand it, it is A6 in size, and comes with a pen AND a mouse, but is only half the pressure levels and resolution of the intuos. Is this a problem later on, when you want to be precise? I dont want the cursor on screen sort of "missing out" pixels.
    Also, is A6 big enough to draw with? I have a 19inch monitor running at 1280x1024, and although not huge, is it not fiddly with such a small drawing space? If this is true, then is even an A5 tablet big enough?
    Finally, what peripherals does the Intuos come with, just a pen? And is the extra resolution and pressure levels really worth it?

thanks for the help guys.

Well, sp00d, to answer your questions from the point of view of a total Wacom convert (one at work, one at home)...
    First off, I think the Graphire is more than adequate, though I admit to not having used one myself (only Intuous), I know many who have and are quite pleased. Plus, as the Wacom tablets have utilities where you can configure how much pressure each stroke has, the lesser pressure levels really shouldn't be missed.
    And besides, the joy you'll experience in converting from a mouse to a natural-feeling pen to draw will completely overwhelm any concerns about the pen not being sensitive enough.
    To answer your second question, I have a 21" monitor at the same screen resolution at home, and the small Intuous, and haven't had a problem yet. It's curious how natural it feels when you're drawing on the pad and looking at the screen. You pay more attention to the cursor than the pen itself, and the size of the pad is virtually irrelevant. (I prefer the small pad, because I can toss it in my lap and sketch into the computer with it - have the next size up at work).
    The Intuous comes with the pen and stand, and you can purchase additional peripherals (such as an airbrush, etc.) I guess I would reccomend that you purchase what you can afford, either way, it's a damn good way to spend some money.

(I should collect all these posts and see if I can get a free pad. Have you seen the new ones with the LCD screen in 'em?)

The Graphire is comparable to Inutos, and definetly worth the investment if you're new to tablets. I used to have an Intuos at work, and so far haven't found much of a noticeable difference. I also prefer the smaller pad... easily portable, takes up as much space as a mousepad, and doesn't take big arm movements to draw things with.

BTW, once you start using the pen, you'll never use the mouse. Using that mouse on the tablet is a royal pain. I've only kept it so my roommates can use it.

I just recently purchased a Wacom Intuos 6X8 inch tablet. I love it. I don't know how I ever lived without it. And I am not even an illustrator. I can't draw worth a damn.

But now, I am practicing because I love my tablet so much!!

Graphire, Intuos...I don't think it will matter much unless you are using the airbrush with photoshop a lot and precise pressure is what you are looking for.