A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poll: Fight Club or The Matrix?!

I agree with Kraken, they are very different and you can not compare cause they are equal.
    The effects in the Matrix were groundbreaking, but you gotta love a good punch up, and theres plently of that in the fight club!

The Matrix has you
    2112 F/X

Some of the FX shots in the Matrix were done by an Australian firm, DFilm, using Houdini and Renderman.

Matrix, Australia, and FlashKit rule!

The matrix was awesome how it looked at everything with a totally new perspective, there's no movie like it. but fight club just takes the cake, like how brad pitt in the movie had such a cool way of looking at life, and did u notice those little things in the movie that made it cool, like whenever brad pitt was leaving the airport and u see him hop in a car and drives away, if you listen closely you'll hear a guy in the background saying "hey that's my car!"
    And did u notice that in the movie it never told the main character's name? guess what his name was!!! if u watched the movie u probably guessed it.
    And did u notice how brad pitt's house was extremely crappy? guess why. cuz the main character just walked into it, it was actually abandoned.

i love that movie, there is no movie better, and plus it has violence! what's better than that?
    i hope i didnt ruin the movie for anyone, i tried not to tell too much about it.

my vote is definantly for FIGHT CLUB!!!

I think I'd have to go with The Matrix...

Absolutely, without a doubt, there is no questioning it...THE MATRIX all the way.

This movie rocked.

I do agree that Fight Club was a wicked movie, right up there with Usual Suspects but the Matrix was...c'mon...it was the BEST movie.

the matrix, dude!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Leo Lima
    [B]Hum... tough one...
    See, The Matrix had awesome FX first seen on the silver screen, but the storyline is... hum... dumb? Can't really believe on that storyline.

Ahem....Ahem...its like a Sci-Fi film??
    you dont look for realism in this one...this was a good excuse for some great FX.....

ok, i agree that you really can't compare these two movies, they do both contain a lot of action but the fight club is such a smarter, more intelligent movie - the matrix has like a million little references and things like: 'neo', hey that's an anagram of 'one' but it doesn't present any cohesive statements that could get ion the way of the action... the fight club is a deep satire on american consumer culture.

i think most of you are comparing the two films for their action alone, on that measure the matrix has to be the winner imho, i have never ever seen fight sequences so well shot. I was lucky enough to walk into a theatre in toronto not knowing anything about the movie at all (just got off a plane from london) and was blown away by the first scene... such amazing fight choreography, then it just got better.

but i think fight club is the better movie, it's dead on the nail with its commentary on american life...

KRAKEN - i don't think most americans get satire of this sort, they are always watching movies that are condemning aspects of culture or morality and taking them at face value - oliver stone found that out with natural born killers.

FightClub is definatly a thinking man's movie. Quite like 12 monkies, now there's a film!

I saw X-men the other day, what a pile of crap!

Did you people not see all the amazing effects in fight club? The long pull back from the hob on the cooker. The IKEA text around the guys house. The enhanced fight scenes. There are loads more too... I definatly have to watch FightClub again soon!

i'm taking this movie way too seriously, but after all it is my favorite movie of all times, and yes i agree that the fight scenes in the matrix are better than the ones in fight club, but the fights in fight club are'nt even a major part of the movie, i like the better effects in fight club better than in the matrix because of all of the crazy camera effects it created, like does anybody remember when the camera came from the bottom of the trash can?? that was awesome or when it was explaining how his house could've exploded and the camera circled around the burner of his stove, that was just too cool!!!! and the music of the matrix, and fight club i would call equal cuz i liked both of their soundtracks.Fight club had a lot of comedy too! did anyone see any comedy in the matrix??? i didnt think so. and i loved the scene in fight club where it shows about how bradd pitt's character put's those frames of those "movies" in the movies at the theatre, and i know most of u seen them but if u look close enough you can see those frames of those "movies" all throughout the movie. and just think of the position he put marla singer into whenever bradd pitt's character and marla did their thing upstairs, and then when marla came downstairs the main character was like "what r u doin here??" see that's messed up, man i could just go on and on!!!!!!! I could seriously write a book about how cool this movie is!!!! that's why it's soo cool. cuz it's got soo many little things that u could just think about for hours. Well i probably just typed the longest reply i've ever typed and i'm sure everyone wants me to shut up about fight club, so i guess i'll just be quiet and keep everything else to myself.

P.S. that movie 12 monkeys was awesome!!!!!!!!!! it's also a favorite of mine, but it's no fight club!

anyone else apart from me think that fincher (director of fight club, seven, the game) is worthy of the same respect as terry gilliam???

for me terry gilliam is the most visually creative director ever, 'brazil' is still as fresh today as it was then, brilliant stuff.

i think fincher is the first new generation director who can hold a candle to gilliam.

maybe, but gilliam's legacy can never be overtaken!

LoungeLizard
    Yeah, Gilliam is lord of beutiful, fascinating and brilliant movies.
    Brazil is wonderful.

Beyond the Sea

mmm...Gilliam's films...

Yeah, I have loved every one of his films. Except Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas...I haven't seen it. 12 Monkeys was awsome! Again, most people didn't get it because it makes you think. I love Time Bandits! I watched that movie so much when I was young. I love the scene where the horse bursts out of the boy's closet and leaps over his bed, and as the camera switches angles, you see the bed in the middle of a forest as the horse gallops off down the trail. Surreal!

Oh man, The Fisher King, Brazil, Baron Munchausen, even his crazy cut-out animations from the Monty Python days were great!

Aversion - yup, satire is usually lost on Joe Public American. It's a shame, really, because these movies that have such poignancy and depth usually die quickly in the theaters to make room for the latest Jerry Bruckheimer testosterone-fest that goes on to break all money-making records and sits in the theaters for months! Not that I'm against that sort of thing, I just really like the movies that make you think.

caithness massiv
    although it's a close call -

i vote fight club...i like what it says about corporate america...plus, the brad pitt/ed norton combo is hard to beat, even if you do have awesome special effects

=vivid=

kraken - i recommend you rent fear and loathing it's a great film, at least for the visuals.. forget about the book (if you've read it) depp's performance is hilarious and there's a lot more depth in there than you might think.

my favourite film period was the 70's when so many directors were at the top of their game. One of my favourite films, 'the conversation' (coppola), has all the elements a great film needs... great script, real acting (not personalities) and beautiful visuals. It's so rare to get a movie like that in this age of glorifying dumbness.

i blame star wars and jaws.. good films though they were, hollywood suddenly realised they could make oodles of money from special fx and crappy stories, film have never been as good since.

man, to think that the godfather was one of the top grossing movies before those two.....

Wink FIGHT CLUB.... EASY

FIGHT CLUB.... EASY

no doubt about it. One of the most influential and eye opening movies ever. Really got to me.

Cheers.
    "Urine is sterile... you can drink it" Tyler Durden