A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Help! How do I tell client how many hours?

Smile

I have a client who wants to know how many hours it will take to finish
    several flash projects. This client wanted the other project done
    within 20 hours. I got it done within 35 hours. Needless to say, my
    client wants everything done within the shortest array of time
    possible. But how do you tell the client how long it will take, if you
    really don't know?
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks

There are a few ways you can organise this...

1. Time and Materials - with this method you charge for the exact amount of time and resources you spend at an agreed rate. This is organised BEFORE you begin the work. You need to get sign off at certain points so that the client knows where you are at and cannot make last minute changes that will blow your deadlines.

2. Flat rate - a one-off sum is agreed to at the start. You tell the client it will cost them x ammount to complete the job based on your estimates. Agree to be paid 25% of the sum after the first sign off point (completeion of the interface for example). If the client makes any significant changes to the agreed specification you have set out at the begining, then you must charge the client for Variation of the Contract.

I could go on for a few days but this is the general jist of it. REMEMBER TO GET SIGN OFF ON EVERYTHING!!!! This way you both know where you stand and the client cannot make sudden and unrealistic changes. If you have underscoped the project from the begining - like you have done - then you will simply have to absorb the costs

Operation Noble Eagle. 09.15.01
    Originally posted by ripetorip
    I have a client who wants to know how many hours it will take to finish
    several flash projects. This client wanted the other project done
    within 20 hours. I got it done within 35 hours. Needless to say, my
    client wants everything done within the shortest array of time
    possible. But how do you tell the client how long it will take, if you
    really don't know?
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks

If they are paying per hour,of course they want it done in the shortest amount of time,DUH.

If you ran over because the client made changes and you can document the changes[which you should]then they absorb the additional cost.

If you ran over due to yourerror,then you absorb the cost.

Are you using a time tractor,try http://www.allnetic.com its free.

jp

quoting

Quoting time always tough. If the job is very open-ended you would not be out of line to say you need to narrow the scope of work. As you know, a design could be simple to execute or very difficult depending on small changes. If you are the designer, offer to break the quote by the design first. Then you'll know how much work the production side will be. If you're not the designer, request comps or storyboards. Be honest, tell your client every job is different. You may have to give a final job bid, but your actually time may fluctuate. Unfortunately, if you take a longer time than you thought, you may have to eat it. But that's why the most experienced people make the most money. You may underbid now and then, and spend a few sleepless nights getting a piece done, but that's life in the big city. Think of jobs you've done in the past and be realistic with yourself and your client. Good luck!

Thanks for the time tracker link. That will be handy.