A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: XML code to open swf file?

I current have a dynamic menu using a external xml file as the menu list. The xml file current opens www addresses just fine but I want to be able to open and replace swf files within the same flash file as my dynamic menu. I'm new to xml so bare with me if I sound like a jack a$$....

This is the current: SUB URL="http://www.leek.com" target="_blank"

Tried: A HREF="http://www.leek.com" target="_blank"

Answers:?

Just drop the _blank and the end of the tag and by default the page will load in the same browser window, or are you trying to load the .swf files into your flash file?

Thanks

Luke

Originally posted by tupps
    Just drop the _blank and the end of the tag and by default the page will load in the same browser window, or are you trying to load the .swf files into your flash file?

Thanks

Luke
    I'm trying to reload swf files in the current movie. I don't want the page to reload just the swf files. I thought it would be a simple task but it turns out it's not so simple. I've thumbed through multiple books that say nothing about this. I found something in the flash5 bible, but I don't know... Let me know if you have in clue. thanks!

Flash can't unload the main timeline. You could load a new clip over the top (Different layer or level?). The only other option is to reload the html page that served up the flash!

Thanks

Luke

Originally posted by tupps
    Flash can't unload the main timeline. You could load a new clip over the top (Different layer or level?). The only other option is to reload the html page that served up the flash!

Thanks

Luke

My main movie contains the dynamic menu that will not load swf movies on a layer or level. I don't know the xml code to do this. Right now it reloads the page. Don't want that! I want to be able to load unload movie like in flash, but through the xml code. Does that make sense...?

Yo...(I always wanted to say that)

You need to create a <DIV> in the HTML document and give it a name (or and ID most likely...same thing). Anyway, you can alter the source of the <DIV> using either Javascript or ASP. I'm sure half a dozen other programming languages would work also, but these are the two that I'm familiar with. Before I go and type 10 or 20 lines of code, email me and tell me a little more about what you are trying to do and I will help figure out the code. I just need to know if you are trying to alternate between completely different .swf files, or if you are trying to target different layers, or what. Later.