A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: PLEASE CHECK. NOT MINE

www20.brinkster.com/harveybass/flash/index.html

the only transitions that are actually working correctly are the ones from the HOME to all of the other scenes. This is my first attempt at having the menu items in all scenes, bowed to pressure from FK peers!!I am working on the transitions from each scene to any scene. hard work!!!

It seems like work in pouring in at the moment, it's either feats or famine!

comments on loading time and design are welcome. cheers . Paul Harvey

UNified
    Interesting url Paul
    On 56 k...loaded in 12 seconds and that is one lovely site.
    I think its an example of the "tricks not needed" for effective, creative and informative sites.
    Colours are fantastic and the application of your trade mark blur on images is very slick.
    Only negative is the sheer amount of "fine" print in Bio

jofta
    [Edited by jofta on 09-09-2001 at 05:16 AM]

Actually I think the menu is pretty cool. From a DSL the menu loads quick, and I like the look and ease of use of the menu. Good job and good luck on all the new work coming in.

-The Duck-

Snail says....

I gave up after 13 min @ 26.4.

I never did get past the page
    that says:

"This page under construction"

with some blinking text I couldn't
    read in the center of a black screen
    with a white border.

thanks guys, obviously this is it's first post so there will be alot of changes.

Dinkledorf- 13 MIN?

PRDUCK- thanks

JOFTA - sorry about the url, I still haven't got access to her actual host so there you go. I agree about the BIO, in fact I have contacted here about it to say tthat she might want to sinplify it a bit. As I said the transitions are still being worked on as well as the scenes thenselves such as the pics ( I don't like it),. Cheers

Clearing my cache and trying again...

[i]
    Dinkledorf- 13 MIN?
    [/B]
    Stay tuned...

Update:

2 min in IE

2 min in Netscape

Netscape's a little better behaved
    in that it, unlike IE, let me know
    the download size - 153k.

I would have to agree. Thirteen
    minutes for 153k is a little much.

From now on I may try to use Netscape
    to at least have a gauge as to size.
    Then I can better know if it's to be
    expected because of the size of the
    download or if it's something to do
    with whatever is going on on my machine
    at the time or across the Internet.

There you have it.
    [Edited by dinkledorf on 09-09-2001 at 06:46 PM]

The site looks nice for sure...no complaints.
    I like the mouseover image-blur effect a lot.

My only question is..what's with all the half-page sites lately? Even at 800 x 600, it only takes up 3/4 of the screen. I normally consider designing for that resolution a sacrifice, a compromise...as it's so much less room to work with, yet the "in" thing here seems to be making a complete website into a small popup box with the smallest text possible, cause, well...little fonts are cool right. (not referring to this one in particular, this one is quite legible)

Ah well...I don't get it, but I'll continue to use as much real estate as I can get away with.
    [Edited by KLTdesigns5869 on 09-09-2001 at 06:58 PM]

Good work!
    • The colors are good to the eyes.
    • You really don't need to preload all the content in the beginning. I suggest you preload the images:
      When the reader clicks on the link or ...
      Have a very small black/white pixelized image in the beginning of each scene/image prior to the loading of the colored image. This will load quickly and will give your reader something to look at while the images are downloading.
    • Should place a stop action in the 'News' scroll. Some people are slow readers. (Always give a choice to the reader.)
    • Transitions are smooth.
    • You might want to flash some content(words) of who/what the sight is about. Grab the reader before they leave!
    • I keep thinking that the images will take me somewhere (cursor.hand shows up). I suggest you change this so it doesn't show. You're confusing the reader.
    I can't wait to see the finished product.
    I hope this info. helps.

Looks great!

You might want to look into the fonts available frmo http://www.miniml.com (anti-antialiasing fonts) for the bio section.

[*] You really don't need to preload all the content in the beginning. I suggest you preload the images:
    When the reader clicks on the link or ...
    Have a very small black/white pixelized image in the beginning of each scene/image prior to the loading of the colored image. This will load quickly and will give your reader something to look at while the images are downloading. [*] I keep thinking that the images will take me somewhere (cursor.hand shows up). I suggest you change this so it doesn't show. You're confusing the reader.[/list]I can't wait to see the finished product.
    I hope this info. helps. [/B][/QUOTE]

1. how do I just prload the images

2. how do I make it so the hands don't appear considering that the images are buttons?

Thaks for the help too.

:: SWiSH Junkie ::
    wow!~
    that looks great!
    lovethe transitions!!!!

whats her number??? ?

keep it uop cant wait to see ur next project!

You have different options you can take. It all depends on the movie (sprite or scenes).
    Become familiar with the Export panel> 'Show export options for'.

If you understand the flash player, you'd know that nothing will load until the player gets to that frame (with the proper swish settings set in Export panel).
    --------------

Every movie is different, it's your job to figure out how to implement this into your movie. To make the cursor.hand disappear you need to make a OnRollover loop. For example, make 2 rectangles ... rectangle #1> Onrollover> Goto next frame ... rectangle #2> OnRollover> Goto frame 0.

Originally posted by harveybass
    As usual - your work rocks!