A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: sircam32 virus with FLA`s !!!

I´ve recieved 2 eMails this weekend from some bozo at "cooke.net" calling himself "cole". They were flash files that he/she wanted me to check out. Good job i did´nt!!

Luckily enough my firewall quarantined them first. As i did´nt know who the sender was, i checked out with a virus check and what do i find ? Yep, the were both infected with the "sircam32" virus.

I logged on to http://www.cooke.net, only to find they have a warning for just these viruses ?? Coincidence or what ?

Anyone else had this experience lately ?

Hiya!

I've had this one sent to me a few times - both with .fla files attached and others - from different people! If you read up on the sircam virus you'll find that it's a stealth virus, working in the background doing it's mischeivious work, so the sender doesn't even knnow it's been sent!

Anyhoo, all these virus alerts show the need for everyone to be on their guard and how truely indispensible anti-virus programs are - so long as they're kept up to date!

Regards,

Steve

Originally posted by NETbreed
    Hiya!

....in the background doing it's mischeivious work, so the sender doesn't even knnow it's been sent!

Steve
    What you are saying then is that it could have been sent by someone who is on an eMail list of someone else that i know ? As i didn´t recognise the sender.

What interested me was the fact that the eMail server it was sent from was "cooke.net" and then when i looked up that address, there was a whole article just about sircam32 !

Anyway, i´m really glad my firewall works

Hiya!

SirCam is a nasty little blighter in that it will not only mail itself to everyone in the outlook address book, but it'll also scan all of the temporary internet files on the computer looking for email addresses! So if your email address appeared on one of those pages then you'd get it!

As for the email server address, the virus contains it's own SMTP engine. This means that the email will appear to come from whoever the user's ISP is since that's who their IP address will resolve to!

I'm glad I've got Norton on patrol - though I much preferred Dr. Solomon

Regards,

Steve

NETbreed

Thanks for the info

I used Dr Solomon for many years, then tried Norton but found it to be too heavy on my system. Now i combine, using a mail virus check plus an online service (housecall), which is free. That keeps me updated at least. My firewall quarantines all files sent by eMail as i am online 24/7.

I dont surf that much, but when i do its only to reliable sites (if there are such) and of course FK.

Anyway, thanks again for the very valuable info