A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Young Web Designer

Thumbs down

Hi,

I'm a 17 yr old living in the UK. I am just starting web design for a living and I wondered if people had any hints or tips on how to break into the business?
    I am willing to do free banners etc, just to get noticed! Is this a good idea?
    Do people think I will make it judging on my site?
    http://www.poomdesign.com
    I am looking for any ways to learn, which do people think is the best way to learn??
    If anybody has any little jobs they dont want, feel free to pass them on

Ambassador of Style
    I'm gonna be honest with ya - nowadays it's nearly impossible to break into the business. There is a lot of experienced, kick-booty talent still swimming around after the dotcom bubble burst. You mentioned that you are only 17 - heck, I'd seriously consider doing things only for yourself for a while, go to a university, and think about what will be the future of new media design.

Just my 02 cents.

-A02

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    While it is hard, I still think you can break in to the industry. Now adays you have to be able to make a good, solid design without spending alot of time. Try designing sites in your mind.. that way when someone asks you to make a site, you already have several ideas. It is just a matter of molding them to your client.

I agree things suck right now - BUT, they WILL be back.. who knows when.. but its a revolution.

Smile

preety nice site boy!good
    And goahead u can find success ..if u work hard!
    There is some little childishness shows in ur site all b'cos of inexperience.may be wait for year to get experieince in ur field!.
    just gothrough many sites when u get some free time!
    it will help u alot.
    victor.A

Which bits have the childness bescause I will try and fix them?
    What do you think o the prices?
    If I dont get much business soon Im going to give up

Dynamic Systems, Inc. mikaelian's Avatar
    Hi

I visited your site. There is potential there.

YOu can work in this industry if you work very very very very very very very very very very very very hardly.

VM

I suppose, but I am trying to learn ASP at the minute and Im finding it OK. IT is just I think I will learn mroe when Im making sites for other people, because they will know what they want

good work

looked at your site. looks like a good start. it's clean. it's solid. real potential.

my advice: for design

just keep looking at other work on the web. watch tv. look at magazine layouts. make an effort to pay attention to what appeals to you visually. experiment. and keep producing. design is like any skill. practice and you will improve.

for breaking into the business:

build personal sites. build sites for your friends. build mock-up sites with different designs. get a portfolio. put together a good resume. send them to local companies you would like to work for. market your site. market yourself. read the classifieds. look for an internship if you can't find a job.
    make sure you are constantly learning.
    a website isn't just a flash swf. it's an entire presentation. it's a structure. learn html if you don't already know it. learn about css. learn how to use javascript. pick up any other skills that can help you and keep up with software. if you are lucky enough to have the kind of mind that understands programming then explore that area as well. develop your strenths. understand your weaknesses and work towards turning them into strengths.

and most of all don't give up. have faith in yourself. don't listen to anyone who tells you can't do it or tries to discourage you. be determined.

and that's about the only advice that i have. just remember that when you do break into this business don't expect to start out at the top. everyone has to pay their dues. that's just the way that it is.

good luck! keep up the good work.

There are no limits in this world. You can reach everything you want to reach. Believe in yourself and only listen to those who can be sure they stay behind you.