A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: ONE out of a number of variables saved via ASP

Wink

Hi

Well I've tried before.. I have no troubles reading anything with ASP and presenting it in Flash 5.

But I cant figure out how to store a single variable to ASP. It seems FLASH insist on "exporting" every variable in the entire program (including the accumulated chat). Isn't there a way to limit this overhead??

More specific: I've made an Flash front end to an ASP chat. The actual chat is stored in the application object, serverside (but it could have been a text file or a database as well). Reading the chat into Flash and throwing it around in funny ways is no problem.. But grabing a users "one-liner" (chat!!) and sending it back to ASP in an effective way seems impossible, since the overhead of the rest of the variables kills the bandwith..

Am I making myself understood? Else - please ask!

I am persistent with this, since the resulting flickerfree almost working chat holds great promises when considering simplicity and multiple installations on a single server (on a school: a number of "classrooms").

(I would love to avoid XML socket servers - but am prepared to use XML if this is a way to store/export those variables)

The Supreme Shaman and Keeper of Polar Lights
    Hi !

You may try to move single variable, that must be send to ASP, in separate symbol and call loadvariables with get or post from that symbol

Hi Ilya

Thanks for the strategy - I had a dim idea in the same direction and I'll keep your input as plan B, as I thisn I've found another way that just requires a rewrite of my loadVariablesNum statement.

This neither uses POST or GET and looks like:
    loadVariablesNum ("NameOfScript.asp?newchat=" add ASnewCharVar, 0);

Thanks again
    MGade

XML chat.. Yet another approach found

Check out http://www.asp101.com/articles/misc/chat.asp..

I get some errors trying to run it - but I believe the idea of using XML is sound??

(This chat thing is a "left hand project" for me - but others could benefit right away)

Hi.

if you send a user's contribution to the chat via ?text=.... you should definitely escape() that text....
    loadVariablesNum('script.asp?newchat=' + escape(ASnewCharVar)

Musicman

Hi Musicman

You have a point there!!! Thanks!

mGade