dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: sites with ripple effect?

resolved

Hi all

A client has asked if we can produce riple effects to our designs (its a water based company). You know the kind where somthing is dropped on the water/screen and it ripples outwards distorting as it goes from the center.

I know ive seen it done before in flash but cant remember where ive seen it done - does anyone have any ideas/pointers/sites with this done???...

cheers

kirsten

Not a Flash Kit Moderator
    The FlashDoctor

Go to the movie section and search for ripple, or "lense" I think htere is something of that nature within that area. Hope this Helps, Cheers, Steve

i have a ripple on my footer... if you want, e-mail me for more info...

nah stevieat2, I've got a ripple on MY footer....

hehe, just kidding around

mg33

mg, how did you achieve the ripple effect on your footer??

always imitated, but never duplicated mg33, lol

oz, basically you take the pic that you want to ripple, make it about 10% larger in a movieclip, and the mask that layer with a ring that grows in size...often you should fade the large bg in/out to make the beginning and end of the ripple smooth. then just put a bunch of the ripple animations together, and put it on top of the original bg.
    you have rings of a larger bg that make it look distored, thus giving you a water effect.

thanks mate, i'll give it a go.

great effect, it also works with fire.

Well, as long as everyone's posting their ripples, here's mine... Basically, as stevie pointed out, it's done with masks -- in the case below, lots of them. It gets considerably more complicated as you add more than one radiating point or other features (like fish swimming in the water).

best!
    Squillo

Looks nice Squillo.

I've been playing around with one on the site I am working on, it hogs the CPU though, so I am probably leaving it out.

I actually made it be vertical bars moving right to left with an equal space between all the bars. Looks good, but too much going on.

mg33

i acutally had a water fall that looked really cool in a site i was working on... however as mg33 says, it is very cpu intensive... so the effect works great with footers, or on a small scale.