A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RE: PLEASE HELP, I'm stuck with my Portfolio Pop WIndows

Re: Re: Re: Followup Question

wdglide,
    I'm wondering if you can help me out again. I'm realizing that I can maintain a better organized website if I create subfolders within my main website folder. This way I can categorize all of my files and not have a big mess of files in just one main folder.

My question to you is how does one using your smartclip set up a URL path that points to an html file buried within two folders? Currently, I have my html file named venus.html inside of the same folder and all this requires is for the URL field to be equal to venus.html.

But for better organization I need to place venus.html inside of two other folders. After I do this its path ends up as the following:
    c:\mywebsite\portfolio_scene\2dart_category\venus. html

Inside of the URL field in the smartclip I typed in this entire path and it doesn't work. Then I tried this path:

portfolio_scene\2dart_category\venus.html

This also doesn't work.

You mentioned absolute and relative paths in your last posting. I would really appreciate it if you can elaborate on how to set up a URL that will find a html file buried within two folders and that would also work once I upload everthing from my C: drive to the webserver.

Thanks in advance. This will really help me out a lot.
    Regards,
    Binar

Senior Bumbler
    Try

portfolio_scene/2dart_category/venus.html

http://www.wdvl.com/Authoring/HTML/T...ute_links.html

A MILLION THANK YOUs

Wdglide,

I want to thank you for your help. What you advised me to do works great.

Moreover, I have to admit that some of this work involved in setting up a website with FLASH is enough to drive one crazy. I spent hours trying to troubleshoot this problem, and I never suspected that using backward slashes instead of forward slashes could have been the problem. Why you may ask? Well, because Windows ME shows the path using "\" instead of "/". Why in the world does such a critical difference exist between path syntax used for files found on one's hard disk and path syntax for files destined for the internet? This is total lunacy in my opinion.

Anyways, again thanks a lot for your help. Hopefully this is the last roadblock I will encounter in setting up my website.

Regards,
    Binar

urls and the net in general based around the unix operating system, which uses forward slash-- / for directory listings. DOS, which was a cheap rip off of unix, switched to using backslash. Windows was built around DOS, hence it kept the backslash. So all in all, once again, you can blame M$ for this.

-darque9

Code:
      while (memory_available) {
            eat_major_portion_of_memory (no_real_reason);
            if (feel_like_it)              
                 make_user_THINK (this_is_an_OS);
            Bill_Gates_bank_balance++;
       }

Spoke too early

Wdglide,
    I think I spoke too early when I said this was the last roadblock I was anticpating in setting up my website. The problem I've discovered is that your Smartclip doesn't seem to work when it's launched from a SWF movie that is imported (via a Loadmovie command) into a mainintro SWF that is within one of the centered popup windows generated by your smartclip. Let me elaborate:

Step 1 - I open "index.html" and within this file I press on the ENTER button (it's equipped with your smartclip). My clicking launches with no problem a centered 790 x 545 window containing "mainintro.swf".

Step 2 - My "mainintro" plays for 10 seconds and then 4 mainmenu buttons fade in. I press on the one named "Portfolio" and this takes me to my portfolio scene. In this scene I have four other buttons fade in that relate to my portfolio categories. I press on the "2D work" category and this loads an external SWF file that has 20 thumbnails. Only one of these thumbnails is installed with your smartclip button (the other 19 are still blank). What happens when I click on this one thumbnail is the following: A Centered popup window comes up, minus the JPEG photo. The photo is replaced with the error message "can not find server...bla...bla". What is interesting is that the popup window appears with the correct size I defined in the clip paremeters, but without the photo.

I would really apprciate it if you can tell me if I'm using your smartclip correctly. My guess is that it's only designed to make a popup window appear when your smartclip is published within a HTML file and programed to only open one popup window at the same level. And does not work when it's embedded within a sublevel SWF file that is imported into a top level mainintro swf file that plays within it's own centered popup window (created using your smartclip). I hope I haven't confused you here. I hope you understand what I'm trying to communicate. Thanks in advance for any info you can give me regarding the functionality of your easy centered popup window smartclip.

Regards,
    Binar

Senior Bumbler
    The smart clip will open as many popups as possible, from anywhere as long as the mc is in a browser. It uses getUrl which simply sends a JS statement to the browser.

The file you're opening either isn't there or your addressing is wrong.

RE: Question regarding CenterBtnLook

WDGLIDE,

I'm wondering if you will be kind enough to answer one more question regarding your EZ popup window smartclip.

I have 4 thumbnails I'm using your smartclip on in a unique way. I have set them up so that when I do a mouseover on any of the thumbnails a white screen highlight combined with a red number between 1 and 4 appears over any of the four corresponding thumbnails. To make this happen I had to take your centerPopupBtn Movieclip & CenterBtnLook button and duplicate and rename them 4 times. Then I had to delete each of the CenterBtnLook buttons embedded in each of the renamed centerPopupBtn Movieclips and insert a newly renamed centerBtnLook button. So in essence I now have four copies of your smartclip renamed as the following:

"Thumbnail_1" Smartclip embedded with "button_1 button"
    "Thumbnail_2" Smartclip embedded with "button_2 button"
    "Thumbnail_3" Smartclip embedded with "button_3 button"
    "Thumbnail_4" Smartclip embedded with "button_4 button"

After doing all of this what I found out is that changing the name of "centerBtnLook" button to four different names renders the popup window mechanism useless. On the other hand if I don't change the name of each of the centerBtnLook buttons the problem I have is that I can't number each of the buttons with the 1-4 numbers because if I modify one centerBtnLook button to display "#2" what happens is that the "#2" ends up showing accross all four of the centerBtnLook buttons eventhough their corresponding smartclips are named differently.

My question to you is how can I create four separate copies of your smartlcip so that any modification I do to any one of the centerBtnLook buttons doesn't carry over to the other three centerBtnLook buttons?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Regards,
    Binar

why don´t you place that "highlight show number" effect in a different additional mouseoverbtn and leave the original btns alone?

I´m sorry if I get it wrong, I didn´t have the time to read the whole thread...

SL

Senior Bumbler
    You're making this sound hard. I assume you are trying to avoid using any actionscript. Because it could all be done easily with AS. Download this .fla its all there.

Its also covered in my tutorial (see footer). Have Fun!