A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: movie levels

Question

Hi there !

the thing is that i have a movie in level 0 that loads a new movie in level 1. When unloading the level 1 movie, i want the level 0 movie to go to a specific scene and frame. The button is in the level 1 movie.

This should be one more stupid question but its drivin me crazy.

thaks anyway.

This envolves Flash's dot syntax- the system used to address all objects used in Flash. Just before your removeMovie statement add this:

_level0.gotoAndPlay("Scene", 1);

If you don't mind, what are levels? (I didn't think it was worth starting a new thread.)

-darque9

Originally posted by darque9
    If you don't mind, what are levels? (I didn't think it was worth starting a new thread.)

-darque9
    Your main movie is on level0, you can then load movie clips onto level1, level2 etc, it enables you to have more than one sound/movie playing at the same time.
    For example, in my main movie I have a radio, this is on level0....when a song is played it is loaded onto level1 so that my sound effects can still be heard.

Hope this makes sense.
    L

Flash uses levels basically to distinguish between different movies that have been loaded into a movie. They are like layers. Loading a movie into level 3 will mean that it appears above movies loaded into layers 1 or 2. The base movie (the movie that is loading the others) is always at level 0 (so it will always appear at the bottom). Any movies loaded into the base movie will adopt the background colour and the frame rate of the base movie.

Because each loaded movie has been loaded into a different level, any variable/ parameter in that movie can be called from any other object within any level using its level number. For example a variable Counter inside of a clip Car in a movie loaded into level 7 would be stored in variable Number like this:

Number = _level7.Car.Counter;

This would be the same from any movie as it is the absolute path.

If you load a movie into a level already containing a movie then the previous movie on that level will be replaced.

Let me know if you have any other questions, but I think that is pretty much all there is to know about levels.
    Mark

Cool... Thanks guys

-d9