dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: client hates site....:-(

client hates site....:-(

i just made a site for a guy and was paid by another one...well the one who pays likes the work and pays me but the other (compagny owner) hates the work, says that is not what he wanted. BUT...during the creation he never looked at what i was doing and i couldn't get in touch with him...i had trouble getting the info i needed ect...now the work is all done and he wants to throw everything away! I was supposed to work on another site for him...so I don't know what to do...

do i make all the changes he wants (for free...a lot of work!) and maybe do the other stuff but not surely...or do i say ok guy, you never looked at the work i was doing, i was all alone and i did what i could with what i had....and now if u want smthng else u pay 4 it...

It's always an awful thing when a client isn't happy with your work. While I have never had a completely unhappy client, I find that most jobs require many changes during the development cycle.

Most of the time, these changes are due entirely to the customer not really knowing what they want until they see what they don't want. Most of the time you can get away with a series of small changes here and there. But sometimes the change may be a major undertaking.

Typically when I price out my consulting work, I add in a buffer of around 30-40% to allow for changes (and other unexpected problems). Of course you have to also be reasonable with your pricing or the customer might go elsewhere.

As far as your question about doing the changes go, that's really your decision. Personally, I firmly believe in ensuring that the customer always walks away satisfied. Sometimes it may be more work than you bargained for, but even if a client doesn't use your services again, he/she might give you a good referral to someone who will.

Also, as far as keeping the customer up-to-date goes, I always stay in close contact with the customer by email. I also put "decision times" in these emails to give the client a short but reasonable time to respond. It's worked very well for me and my customers are happy since they feel like they have real involvement in the development of their project.

I hope this helps you out.

borngamer

You must decide, but some options are...

kaza:

I can offer advice, but you must decide what to do. My advice follows.

First, I hope you have a written contract, but it sounds like you do not. If so, follow it and enforce it, even upon yourself.

Second, focus on satisfying the customer. If you lose this customer now, you will never get them back, and they might have more work for you in the future--either directly or through references. While it may be easier to just give up--and may in fact be preferable--it will likely be better for you in the long run if you stand strong and face the situation with a positive but agressive attitude.

Meet with them BOTH, in person if you can. Discuss what happened, swallow your pride, apologize for the confusion, and make it known that you want to satisfy them to the best of your ability, and had intended that all along.

Ask them what you can do to fix the situation. Start with listening to them describe in detail what their experience with the project has been, what they wanted, what they expected, and how they reacted when it was not delivered to their expectations. Then discuss what you can do to fix things.

Point out that you have provided work already, in good faith, and you would like to receive compensation for making changes. You are a professional service provider who deserves compensation for your time, even if the product has not met their expectations yet. They may not go for it, but then again, they may not. If the budget was fixed and not hourly, you may HAVE to do the additional work for free. However, you'll have their future business. (Plus the second time around should involve less work because you did the ground work the first time around.)

YOU ARE STILL THEIR BEST RESOURCE FOR THE PROJECT BECAUSE YOU HAVE BEEN WORKING WITH THEM ON IT ALREADY. IN FACT YOU ALREADY KNOW WHAT THEY DON'T WANT AND HOW THEY OPERATE, SO YOU ARE AHEAD OF ANYONE ELSE WHO THEY MIGHT HIRE TO REPLACE YOU!!!

Most of all, remain professional at all times. You will be respected much more for it even if the professional relationship has to end now.

This will be tough, but you will be better for having worked through it with the customer rather than just throwing in the towel.

thank u so much for your long answers! you both analyse the situation in a way i didn't quite see because i was so surprised and disarmed by the reaction! I worked really hard on this project and it is my first real client so i really didn't know how to react...know i can think better about it. i think the guy also reacts like than because I am young and female...he is the 60 years old macho type i know all you know nothing and i am not of the agressive/defensive kind so...i will certainly follow your advise and do well we say in france "cut the pear in 2 halves" not beeing ripped off of my time and make him happy as much as i can! thanks again!

kaza

re: young and female

Kaza:

Your being young and female is all the more reason to be professional, level-headed, strong, and confident in this situation. It is a sad thing that often women are still not considered as professional-minded as men; they are instead considered "emotional".

Whether you keep this client or not, you will benefit from facing the situation head on, rather than giving up.

You can do it! Think "win-win" and go get 'em!

thank u! fells good to be encouraged!

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's

I agree but

I think I agree in that you want to please the customer, but I would suggest you also point out that 'normally' you prefer to make the changes during the initial development cycle, and NOT after all is done.

You will want to hammer this home if you are doing a lot of work for them.

How have things progressed?

Kaza:

I was wondering how things have progressed with this situation, hopefully with positive results!

Do you have any news to give us about what has happened since you posted the original message?

Best regards,

Arthur

I am always curious with these outcomes as well.

no news from the boss...

i decided to do what you said and proposed to do the changes he wanted on the site, i called, talked 3 times with his secretary, and sent mails to his collaborator (the guy doesn't have e-mail!!!). Well, he didn't call me back, justlike when i was doing the work! i am still at the same point, not knowing what will happen next, total silence fom him. But i learned that his collaborator said to the guy who paid me "she did what he talked about, and followed his original ideas"! this collaborator had some tech critics about the site but liked it all right! so....i guess the boss maybe a sort of lunatic!
    if you want to check what we talk about:

http://www.amadeus.ht.st

as a result it is not finished, i wait to to the few last changes like faster fps...

Thanks for your support again

caroline

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    Good luck with that..
    I know what a nightmare than can be..

well, this is your first real client, so you don't want to lose him, i can understand this. you spent a lot of energy and you are sad they don't share your point of view. everybody had experienced something like that.

but you should always try to please your client as breur mentioned. i also had the experience of getting good referrals from a company that did not hire me. i spent some time making layouts, checking out the competition etc. but they decided to do the job themselves, but they recommended me to other companies. this was extremely helpful for me and i got new clients through them.

but on the other hand you also have to think, if the client is a good or a bad client for your company. nobody likes to lose clients, but there are bad clients for you, too. these are clients you spend a lot of time on, but don't get much back.

if you've done a good job, maybe, you can sell it to the competition?

keep the files, you'll be able to use them again sooner or later...

tell me, is this sellable..... OddDog's Avatar
    one the great things about this board is that loads of pros share the mistakes that they made with those starting out in the business.

Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract. Contract.

I hope this clears it up for you.

Oh and best of luck.

Hah!

That's great!

tell me, is this sellable..... OddDog's Avatar
    hey Coop when are you guys gona get your stuff translated into Spanish ?????????

ok odd dog, i got that!
    i will certainly spend some time on that subject now!

is it possible 4 me to put in a contract something like

"the author will publish the pages done on .......(url), and will send an e-mail each time to the client. after a certain amount of days, if the client has not replied, it will mean the page is accepted and only minor changes will be possible..."

are there any models for contracts somewhere?

caroline

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    Originally posted by kaza

are there any models for contracts somewhere?
    There is a post with a generic contract on this forum..
    Find it?

Its pretty good.

Originally posted by OddDog
    hey Coop when are you guys gona get your stuff translated into Spanish ?????????
    ACK! You just jogged my memory about our conversation!

Contact me at TomG@proposalkit.com so we can talk.

-Tom

There is a post with a generic contract on this forum..
    Find it?

http://www.presentationkit.com

is that it?

but i must pay and it is for us/uk and i am in france...the ouback

outback:-)