A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash 5 Real Estate

interactive technology
    I have a 21" monitor and a palette monitor of 17"... and I still don't have enough room for all the palettes. Its really pretty frustrating - about the only thing I don't like about the new release.

Am I the only one thinking like this?

What's you screen resolution?

I do fine on my 19".

First off, close the panels that you simply don't use often. Then, choose Window > Save Panel Layout... to save your desired configuration. Then, every time you want to get back to the perfect setup, just go in and choose this layout from the same menu.

Also, you can collape any panel by double-clicking on it. The effect is very much like window shades on the Mac - you'll just have the title bar.

And, something it took me a while to figure out - you can tear off panels and combine them with others. You can even put all of the panels into one big uber panel. Just select the tab in a panel, drag it by its name on the tab, and let go on top of another panel. The panels combine together. It's a great way to consolidate the floating panels, and you'll be able to save screen space with this for sure.

Matt

Wink Ya get used to it...

It's a difficult layout at first but you get used to it pretty quickly, I'm still in a flash 4 state of mind and right clicking and expecting to see the 'properties' shortcut. I do think this new layout will prove itself invaluable as we discover more & more of Flash 5. so stick with it. I've got a 21" monitor at work... nothing more disappointing than going home to use my 15"... *sigh*

Originally posted by gandalf55
    I have a 21" monitor and a palette monitor of 17"... and I still don't have enough room for all the palettes. Its really pretty frustrating - about the only thing I don't like about the new release.

Am I the only one thinking like this?
    I'm in agreement. I use both Adobe and Macromedia products (though Macromedia is my favorite) and I do not like the palette GUI in either product line. I feel that it does take up a lot screen real estate and if you close down the panels, this defeats their original purpose to simplify changing certain parameters. Also, if you do close them, then to see them again is much more button-intensive than a simple right-click. If you window-shade them, then they're always covering up something, even if so slight. I work on a laptop and although I have a 15.1 inch screen, all available screen space is coveted.

I'm certainly no fan of Microsoft products, but I do prefer their GUI's using toolbars rather than palettes. Toolbars are just as customizable as the panels, but take up much less room. Perhaps Macromedia could implement both types of GUI's in their product line. For those of us who like toolbars, we can drag the palettes onto a toolbar and have them dock, similar to the control toolbar, and for those of us who like palettes, we can still have those.

With many new graphic and web applications taking on this palette GUI, I feel like I'm back on a 640x480 resolution once again!

Other than that, Flash 5 is AWESOME!!!

Scott

Yah, you must have the resolution to be huge, or have a big stage size.

I just got my new monitor today, and it is a 19" Flat Front Viewsonic PF790. went from a 15" to that!

And the one thing that is wonderful is now I have room for everything! Dreamweaver toolboxes, Photoshop, Freehand, Flash, room in all of them, not even taking up the whole screen either.
    Have the res set at 1280xwhatever, I don't see how you would not have enough room on a 21" even without a second monitor.

mg33

Hard to believe...

I only have a single 17" monitor and while it is a little cramped I am still much happier with the panel system. I find it hard to believe that a 17" monitor devoted to panels couldn't do the job. Do you have every single panel un-docked?

I guess the tab-key toggle isn't of much use if you've got all the panels separate from the stage.