A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash to CD's

Hi, does anyone know how to put flash movies on to interactive CD's? Do I need Director to do this? If not, are there any major steps I need to know/watch out for?

Thanks in advace.

publish...the flash file as a windows projector
    u'll get a .exe file
    u can cut a CD with that.
    There will be something avalible on the net for free. ..to make it an auto run thingy

U should post this in flash 5 general help

u'll get more answers

Originally posted by Dre_8
    Hi, does anyone know how to put flash movies on to interactive CD's? Do I need Director to do this? If not, are there any major steps I need to know/watch out for?

Thanks in advace.

anything u can do in director ...u can do in flash
    The interactivity part u'll have to create in flash

By the way...to publish as a windows projector file
    u have to go to
    file>publish settings>
    and select the formats needed.

derrickito
    anything u can do in director ...u can do in flash
    good to see the high level of bad responses are still in full force here

flash and director might look as if you can do similar things, but director excels in many areas that flash doesnt.

for some rom projects you can use flash, ive done it before, and depending on content sometimes it works very well. but dont take that punter's statements as complete 100 percent truth.

as for cd authoring, hes right about publishing exe files. thats quite easy. and its also easy to publish an auto run sequence for the pc (macs are a bit trickier)

to get an auto run cd to work properly, burn onto your cd two files

1. the exe file
    2. the auto run file

to make an auto run file for pc, open up notepad and type in:
    [autorun]
    OPEN=project.exe

whereas project.exe is the name of your file

now save that notepad file out as "autorun.inf"
    burn both on the root of cd and *pixie dust and zit cream POOF* you gotcho self an autorunning cd rom

good luck.
    derrickito

derrickito
    good to see the high level of bad responses are still in full force here

flash and director might look as if you can do similar things, but director excels in many areas that flash doesnt.

for some rom projects you can use flash, ive done it before, and depending on content sometimes it works very well. but dont take that punter's statements as complete 100 percent truth.

-------------------
    Oooii!
    Sorry...usually i post a line with the other stuff...about how im not an expert...and am just trying to help
    ---------------------

as for cd authoring, hes right about publishing exe files. thats quite easy. and its also easy to publish an auto run

Dre_8...hope you got what u were looking for

Thanks a lot guys, and don't worry I don't take anything as "absolute truth" haha.....
    cheers

Dre

Projector full screen

Hi,

I hear you about how to produce the projector file and autorun cd,

can anybody tell me how I would produce a full screen application from my flash file with a background tile image.
    I have a multilayer flash file with xml integration...

You can view the project at http://www.amethystgroup-uk.com

Any help will be appreciated...

wolf

derrickito
    well im building one right now so i got this handy for you

on my first frame i have this to set it to full screen and to turn off scaling (leaves the content in the middle at the stage size)

fscommand ("Fullscreen", "True");
    fscommand ("Allowscale", "False");

as for a tiling background, just put in a background layer, and paste away and line up your background, be sure to do this much larger width than the stage though to guarantee that people with high res monitors (1600 or so) will see it tiling all the way. pick a center point in your stage and make sure you tile out 800 by 600 pixels to each direction from that center point (800 by 600 each way from center is half of 1600 by 1200)

what an awesome and speedy responce! thanx

Well, i knew it wouldnt be too complex, so thanx

I will give it a go...

is there a command to close the projector screen?

I best read up on FScommand statements.... lol

but thanxs again... problem almost solved....

wolf

Alien Bob
    My spaceship's currently in for it's service...

Orbiting the Earth just above Peterborough
    Yeah Director and Flash are 2 completely different kettles of fish. Sure you can do similar things in both. But they are both aimed at doing different things. I'm currently creating an interactive CD which is done in director but uses a lot of Flash, that way i get the best of both worlds.

One thing flash still isn't up to compared to director is in handelling sound. Director rules for that.

Ambassador of Style
    The fact is that Director and Flash are two VERY different programs - with different purposes entirely. Flash was designed to produce animated/interactive experiences over the web. Vector-based compression, the small size of the plug-in itself, and streaming ability are Flash's strong suits. Director was and still is the heavyweight for standalone interactive experiences such as kiosks, cd-roms, and such. Director handles video, large file sizes, and transitioning much better and allows for a HUGE amount of customization with LINGO.

3rd party aps have allowed Flash to be used in realms once only available to the users of Director. While for many instances, this is a perfect solution to using director (simple CD-ROMS or business-card portfolios), one should never think it is equal to the abilites of Director. I have experienced serious RAM issues on multiple platforms using extremely large video files combined with an interactive presentation in using Flash to create certain projects.

Basically, for the level most people would want for their CDs and such - Flash is a reasonable and sometimes more efficient solution, but it does not mean it is equal to the abilities of Director.

-A02

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    moved to standalone forum. The lounge isn't the place for help questions (or answers).
    david p.

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar

Flash isn't natively as capable as Director but the relative price tags have made Flash a runaway success with most shops and individuals while the Director club remains a little more exclusive.

Third party application developers have recognized the popularity of Flash and allow Flash developers (not just designers any more) to compete in areas formerly available only open to Director or custom application developers.

My customers are using SWF Studio to build kiosks, cd-rom presentations, testing and training apps, portfolios, and stuff I never would have thought to try. SWF Studio was designed to enhance Flash projectors with these abilities and it works. Flash still works as good/bad as it always did, the new features are implemented by support code written in VC++ and VB, with more than enought power required to get the job done.

Director definitely has its uses but there's room for both products and a good deal of the work out there can be done in Flash just as easily as Director. And hey, this is FlashKit not DirectorKit so you gotta assume we're going to be a little biased here

You can also have an icon for your cd.

[autorun]
    open=myfile.exe
    icon=myicon.ico

More useless info

Jaxg

Cool filling latent-needs: a post-sucess thank you

well...i came to ask all the questions that had already been asked

and found all the answers that had already been answered

thanks, gentlemen

my self-executing, icon-laden, fullscreen, non-scalable projector file operates perfectly on CD...

~d