dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: blurry graphics ?

Hi everyone. As I'm sure you all know by now, I am clueless when it comes to Flash. I just started trying to work on my first anim, and everything was going great. Then I tried to test the movie... all of my images (graphic symbols) were incredibly blurry and smudged looking.

They look great in the authoring environment. They're originally gifs with optimized palettes, so I don't know what the problem is. Maybe I'm inserting a symbol the wrong way?

So far I've been going to New Symbol, then copying and pasting a graphic out of my image editor. Is that not right?

Any help is really appreciated!
    -Falco

Hi Falco,

You need to IMPORT a graphic into Flash. Dont copy from your image editor and paste it directly into flash.

Under the FILE menu you will see IMPORT. Use this to import Gifs,Jpgs or PNGs.

Also when you save the JPG image in Photoshop or any other image appz. DO NOT compress it.

Hope that helps.

Thanks a ton! I'm sure that will make the difference.

still problems!

Hi again everyone! I tried to import the graphic as detailed above by RanTen, and Flash said it didn't recognize the type of file I was trying to import. It was just a simple .gif file.

Any ideas? Does it always say that?

AHHHH! I hate Flash.

Excuse me while I go find somewhere to cry....

Thanks!

FK Junkie

Dont hate flash! Fash is your friend : )

Hello,

I have had some bad experiences with importing files into flash, but usually only when my CD was going out or the file was corrupted (so I don't know if you could say it was flash's falt ). The below methods have worked well for me:

1) Try saving the gif as a different format from a graphics program, this will help to disprove the corruption theory.

2) Make sure the jpeg quality is not too low (file->movie settings)

3) I have had some luck with pasting images from the
    clipboard, you just have to change the size of the pasted image to match the size of the original (select the pasted image and press ctrl+i, you can then enter the correct height and width into the approriate fields)

Hope it helps

I have a suggestion for you all:

Perhaps the problem could be that Flash automatically anti-aliases bitmaps when they are enlarged to make them look smooth. If the final movie playback is in a larger window than in the editor then the bitmaps will be made larger, and they'll be smoothed as a result, hence the blurring on playback. The solution? select the bitmap symbol and uncheck 'allow smoothing'. Voila!

Maybe this one also a good idea. Try File > Publish Setting, at format make sure html is clicked,..then at thml tab, set quality to best..!You will have a clean picture even if you set dimension to 100% x 100%