A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: OT: Learn ASP, DOM-script or XML?

Question

Sorry that I'm not talking about flash, but I'm doubting about something and I would appreciate your help and opinions.

I want to learn a new scripting language, cause I'm always willing to learn something. Especially regarding the internet.
    If got some candidate-languages in my mind, but don't know how and for which language to choose.

And the nominies are:
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE>
    <LI>DOM-script
    Why? Cause it brings me very close to nice dhtml coding and writing my own extensions for dreamweaver.
    <LI>XML
    Because I read in all the magazines that that's THE language for the futur, but to be honest I don't exactly know where I can use it for. I know the basics of XML, but can't put all the pieces together ;-(
    <LI>ASP
    Simply because I'm very interested in database stuff and i really like content management-like websites that exists for 80% of databases.
    </UL>

You see, I don't know enough of the languages to make my decision. Do some languages overlap on others functionality, or can't they be compared with one another?
    What's the language that's most usefull when you make sites with lots of info (read data) in it, so not focussed on design?

Please share your opinion with me so I can base my choice on real-live stories and opinons.

Thanks, Waldo

Hey Waldo, my non-profecional oppinion Perl is the one .. I think you can do everything whith it though it has limitations. Question are you going to be a programist ? If yes go for C++.{how can I put those smilies in here } If not use Perl. Its fun.
    chao