dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How do you tell someone their site is awful?

Hybrid View

Hi all,

I often run into people's websites that I know that their site could be DRASTICALLY improved. How exactly do you say, "Hey your site need WORK, and I am the person to do it."?

*S*

Well almost exactly the way you said it.

Trick is to make them realise themselves that it looks crap, rather than hurting their pride.

You can usually do this by just showing them your portfolio, most people can tell the difference between style and 'impressed with what they have achieved' style. But always compliment them on their site, even if you have to lie, try to find something good in it and incorporate it into your design.

Of course sometimes you just need to say 'thats ******* ****' but only if you know that person can take humility .

FlashKit Joker
    Hi,

You don't tell somebody their site looks like crap, for all you know his wife made it or his son.

You could tell what could be better and give suggestions of how you would improve his site, and that he will get more respons when he does it your way.

Cheers

Originally posted by sploenk
    Hi,

You don't tell somebody their site looks like crap, for all you know his wife made it or his son.

You could tell what could be better and give suggestions of how you would improve his site, and that he will get more respons when he does it your way.

Cheers
    See that is exactly why I'd be wary about telling someone I could help them with it. I know of a couple of situations where a fellow designer approached a business and offered her service to 'better' the site only to find out that the owner's cousin had done it and the owner saw nothing wrong with it.

I know of a couple of sites the would be definite portfolio boosters and their sites are so ineffective. One of the sites has a phone number for 'web site information'. For all I know that is the number of the web designers rather than the site owners. And I really would like to redo the site.

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    I would ask them to seriously contemplate their site's 'message', 'goals', and 'information' and and ask them to consider just HOW WELL their current site does that.

Perhaps rather than put someone's work down, figure out ways to say.. This is a GREAT beginning.

You know what I mean..

"I like what you did inititally, but here is how we can take that idea EVEN FURTHER, and I can do it for you.."

Good luck.

Thanx

*S*

FlashKit Joker
    Originally posted by Eyenovation
    I would ask them to seriously contemplate their site's 'message', 'goals', and 'information' and and ask them to consider just HOW WELL their current site does that.

Perhaps rather than put someone's work down, figure out ways to say.. This is a GREAT beginning.

You know what I mean..

"I like what you did inititally, but here is how we can take that idea EVEN FURTHER, and I can do it for you.."

Good luck.
    Excelent post Eyenovation

I'll give it a try and see how it works out

Cheers

Say it with a smile.

Do a SWOT...

Going like a bull-at-a-gate and saying their site is 'orrible is not going to get you very far.

so do a SWOT analysis on the site.

S trengths
    W eaknesses
    O pportunities
    T hreats

Work out what is good about their site (in depth... not just "your header looks kinda okay")
    Work out where it is going wrong (hard to navigate, wasting their clients time by being hard to find information... it looks old...)
    Structure the advantages of a new design (easier to read, navigate, bring in my customers, increased revenue, better than their competitors etc...)
    Tell the some disadvantages of changing (customers do not like change - may take some time getting used to it.)

If you are trying to get a client, you need to be honest with them, but in a creative way. Do not go in their saying you are wrong... I am right... now hire me. They do not want to feel like they have been doing it all wrong on the web for the last 2 years... Make them feel good about being on the web and what is already good about their site. Then tell them how you can improve on that. By doing a SWOT you are showing you have thought in depth about their pressence on the web and how you can improve their business..

cheers

Well...

My partner talked to the people whose site we want to redo and we have found out that they have an in house team and that they just threw up the site they have now just for the time being. They have suggested that we draw up a proposal with suggetions on how to better the site and if they like the suggestions, they will either buy them from us or contract the work out to us.

We've decided to take their existing site and redo it since it is often hard to explain suggestion without visual accompaniment. The advantage we feel would be that we would be forced to learn even more flash, and even if our ideas are not accepted, we have acquired knowledge and experience.

My question is this: What should be in the proposal? Approximate hours? Approximate cost?

Also, how do we protect our idea? If we redo the site as a mock up, should we print all the pages of the site and mail them to ourselves. Would that be enough to protect ourselves?

Thanx in advance.

*S*

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    Also, how do we protect our idea? If we redo the site as a mock up, should we print all the pages of the site and mail them to ourselves. Would that be enough to protect ourselves?
    At the very least..

personally, when the response is little or no comment, i figure they're thinking, 'if you can't say anything nice....'....but that's probably not always the case....

hmmm, i got the same problem

and it may be a bit stupid me saying this out on a board full of designers... but i bout give up on them

how do i tell http://www.ak-computers.com/ there site needs updating fast!!!

cs?

Thumbs up yuck

>hmmm, i got the same problem
    >
    >and it may be a bit stupid me saying this out on a board >full of designers... but i bout give up on them
    >
    >how do i tell http://www.ak-computers.com/ there site >needs updating fast!!!
    >
    >cs?

OMG you're right *dies*