A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Getting crisp picture quality

Hybrid View

Thumbs down

I need so information about graphics and pictures in flash.
    Could someone send me some information or post it here.

I can't seem to get clear crisp output. I'll put a crisp picture in and get a not so crisp picture out (bad actually).
    In a nutshell, how do you get high quality crisp pictures?
    Any advise?

Thanks,
    Omar

Ambassador of Style
    For best results make sure to either import BMP or PICT. PNG also works very well too! You could import the best looking JPEG in the world, but since Flash compresses using JPEG as well - you end up doing the cardinal sin of design, JPEGing a JPEG!

If you are unfamiliar with this problem, think of it as copying a casette tape. The first copy ain't bad. Think of that as your original JPEG. Let's say you buddy wants it - so you copy your copy of the casette. His copy sounds like complete junk. In essence, JPEGing a JPEG is the same thing. JPEG uses a form of compression known as lossy compression. When lossy compression is done on itself - the result becomes very undesirable.

BMP and PICT compress an image very little. The intial file sizes may be huge going into Flash, but Flash has a pretty decent compression engine and will really shave the file sizes down.

Also, try to import the image at the size you are actually going to use it at. For example, don't import a 400 x 300 graphic and then resize it in Flash. Try to always import the exact size you'll need.

Hope this helps.

-A02

There are a number of places you can adjust the jpeg compressions in Flash.

1.On an imported image in the library, you can right click>properties. This is where you can adjust the properties of the image in the .fla

2.File>Publish Settings, select Flash tab and adjust the jpeg quality. This is where you can adjust the quality of the image in the published .swf

Flash publishes all images as jpegs so if you are getting fuzzy images in your swfs, you need to check #2.

See from my point of view AGENT was very close, why dont you just put higher resolution of ur images, In photoshop go to image size, then set-up your dpi on 150, usualy is on 72 dpi which is screen resolution, if u put it on 150 your image will be sharp.

have fun

Originally posted by DESDESIGNS
    See from my point of view AGENT was very close, why dont you just put higher resolution of ur images, In photoshop go to image size, then set-up your dpi on 150, usualy is on 72 dpi which is screen resolution, if u put it on 150 your image will be sharp.

have fun

I agree with that - you can then import them into flash and optimise them there. If you compress your bitmaps in an outside program, then import them into Flash, Flash will uncompress the image, then recompress it on export. Since JPG is a lossy format, damage has already been done to the file, and you get more JPG artifacts

for more info on this id check the macromedia technical notes

macromedia/support/flash

A