A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: ASP Help!

Question

Hi, I have been in seach of some anwsers to this question. First I just lost my scripters for my project and need to learn how to write ASP files soon.
    Here is what I am doing. When you come to the webpage you select a user icon and a name. You enter the page and can move you icon around using the arrow keys. What I want to do is make it so Flash displays other people who are at the page. I assume I will be making something similar to a chat room ASP

What I need to know is what I should look for so I can learn how. I have found a few ASP books (Sams Teach Yourself ASP, ASP From Scratch, Etc.) And would like to know what to read. Do I wanna read an ASP book? Java Script? PERL? If so what am I looking to learn?

Any help would be great! Thanks

Mook

Lightbulb

There is a great web site called www.asp101.com there are many samples of code and it is good for the beginner in ASP. There are alos links to other ASP related sites.

Combining Flash and ASP with generator produces some great results.

Wink

Excellent. Thanks for the address. Any one else got some ideas?

If you are interested in ASP books Wrox Press is by far the best around. They tend to be a little more on the backend/programming side but that sounds like what you are looking for.
    ASP 2.0 is the correct version to learn if you are on an NT box running v.4, if your box has Win2000 server then you can get ASP 3.0. The newer version of ASP only runs on Win2000, kind of sucks because there are a number of new routines which would be great to have.
    Several other sites I reference for ASP are; www.4guysfromrolla.com (probably the best one) www.ActionJackson.com www.ASPWire.com www.ASPIN.com (anything you could want will be referenced here)

Somewhere on one of these sites there are prebuilt scripts for chat rooms. If you can massage the code to use icons, kind of like an avatar, I think your issue is resolved.
    Good Luck!

--
    Cheers,
    L. Drolet

[This message has been edited by Justlar (edited 25 March 2000).]

Thumbs up

Oh good. I looked at those ASP books but was not sure about the, since it was a company I had not seen before...but they had a huge selection of stuff. I will probably pick the book up this week and start learning. Thanks for telling me ASP 3.0 was not what I wanted also...>I probably would have goofed had I not known.

Many Thanks
    Mook