A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Projector and Qiucktime help

I'm making a flash presentation, with audio, video, and flash interaction. It is mostly complete. We want our audience to have quicktime to veiw it's contents (because it contains video).
    From the opening page they have the choice of installing quicktime or if they already have quicktime, start viewing the presentation.
    I thought it would be best to have the presentation open in projector and then have a "loadMovie" or "get URL" to access the quicktime movie.
    Is this process the best way and if what is the procedure to have a button load my quicktime movie?
    I've tried a few different things but the scripting I'm using doesn't seem to be doing the job.
    any help would be greatly appriciated

The easiest way to do this since your using HTML already is to embedd the QT into the HTML and then luanch the HTML http://developer.apple.com/quicktime/compatibility.html .

Folowing the instructions in that article will also make it so that the browser checks for QT and the User is automatically directed to install the latest version of QT.

thanks, but. . .
    I forget to mention that I'm making this to eventually burn on a business card CD, so I assume that will change the process of doing this. ANy more advice will be greatful

Ive had some experience with this kind of thing and if i understand correctly it will be best if you publish the whole thing as a quicktime mov and use cleaner to allow you to present the file as a presentation it works quite well but i had to put multiple stops in as the movie skips frames to keep up with the audio files but i was pleased with the result

Flex

You could also use Flix from Wildform.com to embed the Quicktime into your Flash piece.

Re: Flex

Originally posted by DaddyZac
    You could also use Flix from Wildform.com to embed the Quicktime into your Flash piece.
    There are disadvantages to this for example Flix can't handle QT Flash tracks, QT wired sprites, QT scripting, QT dependicies, and QT VR.

It's great to recieve some help.
    Thanks for the advice, I'll see how it turns out.
    catch you later

he abutler

How did you get it worked.

I am trying the same thing here. What/How do you do this when they don't have QT and are not able to download it.

marcelx

I haven't figured out all the kinks yet, Marclex. As far as i know I plan on the opening page (which is in projector)and then having two buttons that allows them to 1) start the presentation or 2) download the quicktime player (which will be on the CD and takes about 7 or 8MB of space). I'm not sure what ActionScripting I'll have to use, so if anyone knows what I have to do to make a button go a retreive the quicktime .exe file it would be greatly appriciated.

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar

QT doesn't integrate with the Windows multimedia architecture (Apple just has to be different) so it's just more trouble for end users. I'd like to support QT but I can't even get QT5 to install properly on my NT4 box, it crashes every time. I had to go back to QT4.

If all you need is to play video you can save yourself a lot of trouble by switching to a different format, one that's supported natively in Windows like AVI or MPEG. I'd stay away from WMV for now unless your audience is likely to have WMP installed.

Yes but........

It is giving me a headake (sorry for my englisch)

With a link to QT download they have to fill in all kind of forms. Download for 8 minuts the program. (with all the risk that the PC will crash) You know there are a lot of possibletys to crash a pc. And has everybody excess to internet upfront?
    To put the full version of QT on the CD is a option but for that you have to fill in about 8 pages and sent to QT to are able to do this and they are not happy with that because they want to know the user. (money)

But why QT. I think this give you some more options agains AVI or mpeg. With QT you are able to put extra links to other. Design you own QT view ectr ectr. So what is good advice.

Do you know how many people use QT. Is it only used by all those apple users!

What is you idea! Do you think people will download a program like QT when the receive a marketing CDrom. Or install the full program on the CD and hope that QT don't get angry when you did not fillout the forms to use this program.

I don't no. I have a nice presentation with a lot of movie. It is about 450 MB and .............

When you have setup the start with the projector good you send it to me?? so I can test it.

Greeting
    Marcelx

Link to QT agreement.....

http://developer.apple.com/mkt/swl/pdf/QT5FreeSWSDA.pdf

Here you have the form to fill in if you want to put the full version on the CD for a presentation

marcelx

QT has an installed user base of over 100 million, its install base is almost the same as the Shockwave instalation. Rhey have 10% of the media market. That 10% though is the movie industry that is creating QT content becuase it really does look nicer than Real and MS Media.

MSIE 5.5 is broken- you have to install all of the critical patches and download an active X plug-in in order to use QT on your Windows machine with IE- It was a lot easier to install QT into NS 6.1- no problems and no crashes. I had a dicken of a time getting it to work with MSIE though.

The QT plugin is about 8-15 meg depending on what you install- it comes intergrated into the MAC.

to abutler

Do you put the full QT on the CD legal (I just read the forms but I don't now.

When you start to spread out the cd with a copy of QT I don't think it is a good idea

marcelx

Hey guys,

How can I make a standalone presentation flash that can play mpeg without any internet broswer, directly open up an application (e.g. QT, avi) in PC and Mac to play? I'm using "Get URL" now, is there any script to help?

Many Thanks

Cybix

Check out FMProjector at the URL
    http://www.flashants.com

Hope this help.

Re: to abutler

Originally posted by Marcelx
    Do you put the full QT on the CD legal (I just read the forms but I don't now.

When you start to spread out the cd with a copy of QT I don't think it is a good idea

marcelx
    You have to liscense it with apple- if you have their permission its legal, although they aren't likely to give you permission.

Thats what I thought

That was something I already thought. But thanks.

licensing etc.

hi, jumping in a bit late here:

i've been researching this as well this week, seem's nightmare for licensing.

I've even setup a director quicktime test for the pc users.

now mac side is fine, but the problem is my final movie may be too big to have 2 versiobn on a cd.

If I do have room can i simply place an avi file into my swf file? i thought it only used quicktime. any info much appreciated.