A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: flash detection - SWF to GIF

Please Help,

can i detect if the flash plugin is installed, if it is not can i display a gif instead. If this is possible, how do i do it??

Please Help

Roberto

I know you can detect if a person has flash and then you can route them either to the flash or the gif, two different pages. Note... most people, just about all, have flash so i wouldn't recommend wasting your time creating another site using gifs instead of flash. Even in the old days of Windows 95, there was flash so it would be an inefficient use of time. I don't know the code off the top of my head, but maybe someone else might or sometin.

A client is demanding it, but i dont want it on seperate pages, i want the gif to load instead of the flash file if flash is not installed on a machine!

Thanks for the help, but i am really struggling here, some one help me pleaaaaasee!!

Roberto

Hi,
    I searched high and low & left and right for a solution to this exact same problem and even posted something on the Newbie forum for it. This type of thing really SHOULD be flash 101 - Macromedia should make it so you just click a button when you're publishing a movie and point to a alternate image to replace the .swf file (for viewers without the flash plugin), and it generates the code...

But in any case, like I said, I posted something about this to the newbie list a while back and ended up answering my own question..twice!<G> I've tried it and it seems to work fine.
    Check out my LAST answer in this post, and good luck!

http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...hreadid=100513

Regards and hope this helps,

-Steve

Thanks alot Steve i was really struggling to find an awnser to this. I will give it a wirl + my boss will be pleased!!

Roberto