A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: We don't need your stink'n SWISH

Look David,

you have something completely wrong. The reason SwishZone would go out of business if you made a mac version is because I and nobody else wants to support ignorant lazy programmers!

Half a million to port this program? How are you getting these calculations? I'd love to see your research. But I can see it comes from the same place as your 3% fact. More ignorance, let me think... you don't make Mac software, so why would I visit your site? Are site hits and revenue relative? If so that is new to me.

I can guarantee the percentage of Mac users hitting Microsoft's site is less than 3%, yet Microsoft sells more Macintosh software than any other company.

How about before you post such nonsense do a little research.

I have an answer for you, SWfx, cheaper, better and OSX compatible! They already have my money.
    http://www.wildform.com/

>>Why have we not developed a Mac version of SWiSH:

>>- Because less than 3% of people visiting our site >>>>use a Mac.
    >>- Because it would cost us half-a-million dollars to >>>port to Mac.
    >>- Because it would delay the next Windows version >>>by six months or more.

>>In short, developing a Mac version would put us out >>of business.

>>Cheers, David.

wow... such venom... I MUST have missed something...

there was a thread about a guy who didnt know what to buy a mac or a pc, and of course the old flame wars thing happened, does it really matter, which ever is best was lost along time ago, there isnt any best, me and a mate spent a whole saturday looking for the anwsers and all we found was bios opinions, oh well, print has always been the mac markets, as for new media the fact that most servers are pc based and asp is only microsoft environments means that the mac world need some support in the e-commerce business just to keep alive, as for php im not to sure on the support given by mac server applications.

macromedia have never been very kind to mac users, although adobe seem to love them, i wish they took note as there name suggests that they have the mac users needs at heart, unfortunatly it isnt the case - for now.

wow... do you have the link?

um, php will work on any UNIX/Apache implementation... therefore, the MacOS X Server, which runs apache, will run PHP. True, Apple is not known for their webservers/webservices, but in the new OS, backed by the BSD/Mach kernel, is basically BSD with a pretty interface... I like it. And I'm a old UNIX user, and a MCSE... go figure... oh well, biased opinions will always exist...

macro is the converse to micro... thus macromedia is basically "large-scale media"... not "mac-media"... but true. Adobe started on Mac, and their products always seem to run faster on the Mac... anyway, hope that you find your answers that you are looking for. good luck!

Originally posted by phaty
    there was a thread about a guy who didnt know what to buy a mac or a pc, and of course the old flame wars thing happened, does it really matter, which ever is best was lost along time ago, there isnt any best, me and a mate spent a whole saturday looking for the anwsers and all we found was bios opinions, oh well, print has always been the mac markets, as for new media the fact that most servers are pc based and asp is only microsoft environments means that the mac world need some support in the e-commerce business just to keep alive, as for php im not to sure on the support given by mac server applications.

macromedia have never been very kind to mac users, although adobe seem to love them, i wish they took note as there name suggests that they have the mac users needs at heart, unfortunatly it isnt the case - for now.

thanks!

dunno what the issue is... I've seen worse.

IVE SEEN WORSE TOO and that was on cnet.

This is not a new problem!!!

Please visit some threads i´ve posted:

http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...hreadid=195736

or this one... a hole year back!!!

http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...threadid=27723

So, what can i say...

SWiSHer extraordinaire

Re: This is not a new problem!!!

Originally posted by manutara
    So, what can i say...
    Well, mostly what you say is rude and accusative.

We've made our statement on a mac version.

That is it.

This is what I said earlier:
    The information on the web pages sums up the official (and actual) position quite well. What part of it do you think is a lie? Is there something there you don't undertand?

A year or more is a year or more. If we said that two years ago, it wasn't a lie then, and it isn't a lie now.

We are not currently actively working on a Mac version .. we are busy making SWiSH v2 a powerful and flexible tool. If you notice what is going on on the board here, we are quite busy at the moment.

I know it must be frustrating being a Mac owner and therefore unable to run SWiSH (and some other software). There is a lot of good software that is PC only, and a lot that is Macintosh only (which is one reason why some people choose Mac's over PC's .. and vice versa).

We have seen SWiSH V1.5x running very well using VirtualPC. I'm not sure about SWiSH v2 though .. the security softare would probably not let it work.

We do have customers who use Macintoshes for their primary work, but use a PC for SWiSH (and some other apps) .. then they simply copy the SWF file to the Mac. In fact, that is what often happens in the SWiSH offices.
    [Edited by roger_onslow on 10-02-2001 at 09:11 PM]

Hi Roger...me again, but not alone..

As you see, there are many guys concerned about the Mac Swish version.

So, as you said, the only thing to do is either buy Virtual PC or buy a Win PC ( including Windows ). All that waist of money for a Software for ONLY $49.95.

I don`t get it!

what's the fuss? I mean... there are like TONS of programs that don't work in one OS or the other... heck, I wish I had Studio Artist for the PC, or 3D Studio Max 4 for the Mac, Visual Basic for Linux... but I don't. And in most cases, probably will not ever.

Like you said... the program is only 49.95. It is not something worth arguing, or carrying on a possibly uncivil conversation about. Heck, I don't even OWN version 2.0 of the Swish product.

or... maybe you could do what I did... I bought a PC - actually, I have 4 of them. I also have a Mac, about to buy another one. I also run Linux. I also run FreeBSD (hmmm, see any flash apps for that one?)

Whatever reasons a business, small or large business, has for coming out with a program on one OS, and not the other, is not ultimately up to the few that want it but to the company believe it or not, can't make everybody happy.... Swish claims that only 3% of their visits are Mac. I believe it due to the Apple presence in the market. I probably constitute a portion of that 3%... same as you. However, 3% is sometimes not enough - in fact, I believe close to that same percentage want 3D Studio Max 4 for the Mac as well. Discreet has not made a Mac version either. I own the 3500.00 product for the PC - paid for by my own money, I'm a programmer by day, graphic hobbyist by night... yep, I have a 3500.00 piece of software for a hobby - and I will not begin a crusade against the company, it's workers, nor the people that support the company. If my needs were more serious, I would just buy the PC if I did not have one already.

and no, I'm not taking sides on this. I just think an age old conversation/heated discussion needed another point. My hopes were not to offend anybody...

Originally posted by manutara
    As you see, there are many guys concerned about the Mac Swish version.

So, as you said, the only thing to do is either buy Virtual PC or buy a Win PC ( including Windows ). All that waist of money for a Software for ONLY $49.95.

I don`t get it!

shining happy peopke holding hands........................

and i thought the world have enough problems as it is.

thanks

Quote:--

I have an answer for you, SWfx, cheaper, better and OSX compatible! They already have my money.
    http://www.wildform.com/

--end

Thanks. I did not know of SWfx. Now i do and i'm going shopping!

Twister