A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: What's the secret to keeping flash file sizes down?

I'm pretty new to using flash, and I have been just looking around the internet at all of the great flash sites that are out there. I noticed that many of them load extremely quickly even though they are packed with many excellent audio loops and sound effects as well as elaborate graphical effects. For all of you flash experts out there, what are some tips you can give about keeping flash files small so that they load in a reasonable time? Thanks for any replies!

Here is what I do:
    •Limit the use of jpgs and bitmapped images
    •Try to draw everything in Flash or Freehand
    •Re-use symbols whenever possible
    •Export audio as MP3 format

Hope this helps!

------------------
    Eric Emmons
    Merrill Lynch
    User Interface Design
    <EMBED src="/cgi-bin/ubb/Members/sigs/00000094.swf" quality=high WIDTH=300 HEIGHT=75 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"> </EMBED>

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

Cool

Eat you veggies and brush your teeth. This will not make your files smaller but, it will make you stronger and more socially acceptable. he he he. Regards, Bill

------------------
    Macromedians 1:1

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.
    <EMBED src="/cgi-bin/ubb/Members/sigs/00000100.swf" quality=high WIDTH=375 HEIGHT=75 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"> </EMBED>