A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [Resolved] [Resolved] Empty the Cache!

Red face

How can you empty the cache of a browser either with Flash or with ASP?

This is causing a real problem in our project because if we reload a .SWF it will not have changed any of the last variables it set but the original ones it loaded the first time.

Kim

Hay Kimbo I had the same problem you know. FlashKit suggested:
    LoadVariables://stuff.com/variables.dat?&random(1000) which forces the browser to reload. and use LoadVariables commands at least 60s appart. If you come up with trick how to empty the cache ( or cash either one ;-) ) in real time please let me know.
    Mad_sci
    <EMBED src="/cgi-bin/ubb/Members/sigs/00000472.swf" quality=high WIDTH=170 HEIGHT=55 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"> </EMBED>

I am not sure if this line in the head of your HTML document will solve your problem for you or not. I am assuming that this probably will help.

<meta NAME-equiv="Pragma" CONTENT="no-cache">

<meta NAME-equiv="Pragma" CONTENT="no-cache">

//<meta NAME-equiv="Pragma" CONTENT="no-cache">

I cannot type the tag in, as you can see, so I will "speak" it to you:
    open carot meta name minus eqiv equals quote Pragma quote content equals no minus cache quote close carot

I hope that you understand what I just typed
    /*<meta NAME-equiv="Pragma" CONTENT="no-cache">*/

meta NAME-equiv="Pragma" CONTENT="no-cache"
    don't forget the < and > at the end

Yep very cool, how can learn about this trick please explain. Or if you have a link whith the metas.

<EMBED src="/cgi-bin/ubb/Members/sigs/00000472.swf" quality=high WIDTH=170 HEIGHT=55 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"> </EMBED>

We've tried but to no avail. If it really works please give more info,

Best regards,

Kim

Well this was my problem a time ago:
    I made a flash hit counter which i wanted to update in real time you know those Java based counters. The problam was that I had no way to reload the variables. so I tryed the first sol. browser refresh and now I tryed the Meta stuff. both of them worked. Just paste the meta tag udnder the head tag. And you are done. A another thing is that you have to keep LoadVariables commands at least 30-60s appart. Hope this works.
    Mad-Sci

Wink

you dont have to space out your refreshes...

make your asp,cgi or txt return a value called &loaded=1

In flash just before flash requests the asp add a set var loaded=0

so when the data has been sucsessfully loaded into flash we now have a var inside flash called loaded=1 all you need to do now is do a loop and keep on testing if loaded=1, if it isnt then just keep trying else go and do another refresh.

This is a way to make a 100% reliable refresher. all my flash and asp files on www.dream-nation.com/dev4 use this trick,

Hope this helps,

John Harding
    <EMBED src="/cgi-bin/ubb/Members/sigs/00000043.swf" quality=high WIDTH=400 HEIGHT=60 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"> </EMBED>

Cool

My ASP guy as figured out that this following code in ASP works very well:

response.expires = 0

One day, I promess, I will be able to write that damn language!

Kim

Kimbo how can I use this I need something like this but I have no idea what ASP is and how to use it.
    mad-sci