A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Cross platform CD-Rom

Former Employee of Satan Napalm's Avatar

Angry

We have to do a cross platform CD-Rom, my question is this:

I know how to create the autorun for the PC, how do you create it for the Mac?

Secondly, what video format is best for cross browser compatibility? I'm doing the CD in Director.

Thanks

We have to do a cross platform CD-Rom, my question is this:

I know how to create the autorun for the PC, how do you create it for the Mac?

Secondly, what video format is best for cross browser compatibility? I'm doing the CD in Director.

Thanks
    hey napalm i'm gonna give you a quickie if i can help email me
    to create a hybrid cd you need to create 2 seperate .exe files 1 from pc 1 from mac...your cd will have to be partitioned (toast does it which version i can't remember)all file will need to be placed in each partition like 1 quicktime for pc and for mac..burn the cdrom on a mac and toast will creat the autorun for you..and use quicktime movies for both director handles them better

Thanks a lot man. This CD will have me no see the light of day for the next 8 weeks. If I have problems I give you a shout.

Thanks

Hot Dish

But what about for Flash?

I'm in the process of a project creating a 5 minute Flash movie for CD-ROM. I'd like it to auto-run and be cross-platform.

Do I use the same method as above and if so, what do you mean by "partitioned"? Just in separate folders or what? Or will Toast kind of walk me through it?

And, if Toast will create the auto-run for me for Mac, will it also create the auto-run for PC or do I need to do that separately?

My Flash projectors will be totally self-contained. There are no outside .swfs or anything associated with it. It's entirely in one file.

Please, please someone get back to me....thanks so much.

Joelle

Yes, Yes , and Yes.

1. You still the MAC to uncompress the file and allocate resources to the HQX.

2. The PC and MAC use two diffrent file systems- Roxio's Toast will partition the Drive for you. PC's can not read apples file structure... To be honest Macs are a left over from about 10-20 years ago when the OEM wrote the software... Apple is in the bussiness of making and selling OE not writting software....

3. Toast will make the autorun.

- I have posted the link before (about 50 times or so) to a very good tutorial on how to make a hybird CD search the board and I'm sure it'll pop-up as I'm in a rush and don't have the time to really dig up that post.

resolved Director / Flash ?

Hey CDrom blokeys,

I would like to know what you all think about creating and distributing CDROMS in Flash and NOT Director? I am aware Director is the Daddy when it comes to CDROM. But, are there any drawbacks in creating CDROM solely from Flash???

I guess im just looking for extra justification as I have almost finished a CDROM entirely in Flash with monster usage of Swift3D. The Cd works fine and I have also made it sutible for lesser machines - so I feel I havent anything to worry about!?.

Has anyones got anything to say about this??

Thanks in advance for any opinions or info....

Waltz

If the CD contains lots of video and voiceovers I would go for Director, otherwise Flash also does the job well.