A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: I need guru's advice?

Lightbulb

Hello and thanx for your time.
    I have an .fla of a simple animated logo (no Sound) I wanted to use but for some reason the file size is huge
    Could anyone possibly have a look at the .fla and let me know if I can make it smaller with actionscripting?
    I have all the seperate images I have drawn etc and have made them small, the problem lies within the movie design somewhere but I cannot see it?
    Any help would be cool

Pippin

Lightbulb sorry guys..forgot to include the URL..oops

I really hope someone can tell me why this movie is so large, it only runs for bout 5 seconds and is 600k...

Here is the URL to download the .fla if you would be kind enough to offer some help or idea's

http://www.cyberup.com.au/sticky.zip

cheers
    Pippin

.gif 1-10 are being imported at 416x412. downsize the images before you import them.

Lightbulb Thanx so much for your assistance.

The actual images , even at that size, are only between 2k and 4k ?
    I will try to shrink the images further but I still can't find 600k? 10 images at an average of 3k is only 30k so do you have any ideas where the other 500 odd k is coming from?

I have no hair left LOL

Re: Thanx so much for your assistance.

What I found are:
    1.Some transparent background remained in the symbol. If you slect the red shape and cut it into a blank layer then delete the old layer that is with transparent background, the size will be smaller. Do it for those 3 symbols will shrink the size off 200k;

2.Some of the background are painted directly on the stage. If there are more than two "keyframes" using the same graph, you may convert the shape to symbol and reuse them in those keyframes. That will save the size a bit.

3.I am not sure about the compression stragedy. What you mentioned 2K is possible the size of compressed gif. It will be imported to Flash into bitmap and that is much larger than gif size. And possibly, swf compress the bitmap in its way which is different from gif.

Re: Re: Thanx so much for your assistance.

I stripped off some transparent background. I am not sure the result is completely the same as old one. At least, the difference is minimal.

The old swf is 602K, and the new swf is 51.4K. No action script change.

(note during editing, possibly I dragged movieClips a little, so the position might slightly different from original one. That is not related to its size.)

http://www.geocities.com/~dr_ericlin/aaa/sticky4.swf
    http://www.geocities.com/~dr_ericlin/aaa/sticky4.fla
    if download fail, try save target as

Smile WOW ..man, thats magic ....

That is a fantastic result, I did not even know that the method you used was possible? sheesh...
    Thanks so much for making my little guy useable.

Just a side question you mentioned the image compression format ? should I always try to convert my images to bitmap for import into flash rather than .gif?

Cheers
    Pippin

Re: WOW ..man, thats magic ....

I mean I dont know how MM compresses the image.

I dont think you should convert it to bitmap before import. Flash will convert them to bitmap for you.

The reason is like tapo said in the reply, the image size is 416x412. That is nearly the size of your MOVIE STAGE. But your animating shape is only about 20x40, most of the SIZE are "transparent background".

Actually, I just freed the star off the sky. The sky occupied too much image and file size.