dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Macromedia Freehand 10 vs. Adobe Illustrator 10

Plutarian(From Pluto, stupid!) kitchee's Avatar
    I use Illustrator 9 and love the program. I think I love it because thats the first proggy I ever learned in class, well that, Quark and Photoshop.
    About 6 months ago I downloaded the trial version of Freehand 9. I just couldn't stand it. It seemed like a very weak vector program. The controls and enviornment seemed buggy. When I used it I felt like Macromedia just threw this together to compete with Adobe and have a graphics editor in their line.
    I just wanted to know what you guys thought about the new version 10 that recently came out. Is it better? what about Illustrator 10?

Which is better?

Should I give Freehand another chance?

Freehand&Illustrator

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kitchee
    If you are working with Photoshop it is obviously better to have Illustrator. Macromedia bundle Freehand with Flash in the Studio - which is how people like me get it. But Freehand and Flash are not well integrated and this is disappointing. Flash 10 is not a major upgrade, and from the sound of it Illustrator 10 will not be a major upgrade.
    Freehand is a quirky programme. In some ways I prefer it to Illustrator, though I do not think it makes a lot of difference. For quickness I use the drawing tools in Flash - which are limited, but that can be challenging at times.

the traveler
    it's kind of one of those things where you're biased according to which program you've been introduced to. i come from the illustrator side of the tracks, where as my girlfriend is a stubborn freehand freak.

i do all digital media and she is all paper and ink, so maybe that has something to do with it -- but i doubt it.