A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Use a static IP address. (it stays the same always)

Blood elf, or PHP guru... hmmm Paradoxz's Avatar
    And how do I do this? lol.. I set it as fixed... still is random. Idea's?

that's the nature of your service man.

no way around it... unless you get a static IP.

I once heard you could buy a static IP for $7 once... but cant remember where from.

The type of IP is done by the ISP, not by you. From your own computer, you can't set the type. You'll have to talk to your service provider. I actually think that all dial up access IP's are dynamic. You can get Static once you're dealing with a broadband connection. I'm pretty certain about that.

mg33

FK Official Postman
    Dial Up is dynamic. Broadband is usually static...unless you reset your modem.

kb1827,

You're stating that somewhat correctly I guess, but in my experience with broadband, especially in terms of home consumer usage, they are almost always dynamic.

One reason there is the advantage to a dynamic broadband connection is that it allows you to use a hub and run several computers off the one connection. This is becuase when each computer is turned on and connected, they are all obtaining a different ip, independant of each other. Thus, the switch they are connecting with at the ISP doesn't see anything more than 1 different IP.

I think that makes sense. Where it does make a difference is in terms of bandwitdh. If you are having more than 1 computer connected through a hub, you're essentially doubling the traffic, slowing down the connection rate of both computers-I don't want to say by 50%, because that's not always the case. It just depends on what each computer is doing in terms of downloading information. If one computer is simply browsing yahoo.com, and the other computer is watching streaming video, the computer on yahoo will be a bit slower.

Most ISP's offer you a choice.

I've just got new service with Ameritech in Chicago, and the set up is a bit different than what I had before in Texas. The Ameritech service-you have to log on to the broadband connection, you can leave it running, but the service I previously had in Texas was on automatically.

Also, Static IP's cost a bit more.

So, maybe that explains it a bit better. I think that dynamic ip's are the way to go, they're a bit safer for access to the Internet, especially considering a broadband connection is always on, and always open to intrusion by hackers.

If you have broadband, and don't have firewall software-get some. It will really blow your mind just how much stuff is going on without you knowing it. Of course, firewalls catch these sorts of things, but they still keep a log of all the attempts at intrusion.

Hope that helps,

mg33

kb1827, correct. Bradband/DSL are normally dynamic.. From the research i've found, they charge you more to have a static IP. Thanks to Sem for this tip.

Paradox,

not trying to cause an argument or anything, but you said,
    "kb1827, correct. broadband/dsl are normally dynamic.."

He said the opposite, he said they are usually static.

I think what you are saying "correct" to is what I mentioned in my last post, as I stated both that broadband DSL is normally configured using a dynamic ip, and that you also have to pay more for a static ip.

All in all, you found what you were looking for, I'm just really confused by who you're referencing with your last post.

Take Care,

mg33

mg33, I am sorry.. I meant to put your name.. I looked and you typed his name at the beginning of your message.

Firmly Fastened to the Milk Sac of Misanthropy
    mg33,

Paradoxz has been hittin the sauce a little tonight...

Originally posted by mg33
    The type of IP is done by the ISP, not by you. From your own computer, you can't set the type. You'll have to talk to your service provider. I actually think that all dial up access IP's are dynamic. You can get Static once you're dealing with a broadband connection. I'm pretty certain about that.

mg33
    You can get a static ip from most IP's on Dialup - they just charge throught the nose for it!
    BTInternet for example charge £150 per annum for a static IP!
    Persoinally I just renew my lease and I normally get the same IP!

cool man, that's what I thought.

If you have any more DSL questions or broadband related questions, feel free to ask them. Aside from knowing a good deal about that stuff in the first place, in my last semester in college this past spring, I took a Communication Technology course, where we learned quite a bit about broadband and related things.

Take Care,

mg33

FK Official Postman
    It also varies from provider to provider. Mine (Comcast) is static and dynamic at once. The PC is static...so it can be used a s server...the modem is dynamic...

kb,

on a dynamic connection, the pc itself is always static in a sense that it has a name assigned to it to be recognized by the server or modem. But the way the modem, as you've said, is represented is through the server with a dynamic IP.

It's wierd, the last DSL connection I had in Texas was incredibly simple and very little to configure. If you've ever used a cable modem connection, especially when they were first still very new to the consumer market, they were a total pain to configure, quite a few settings for the computer.

mg33

Operation Noble Eagle. 09.15.01
    I am on cable and my ip address changes every 5 hours to prevent hacking....so the cable company says.

Any way I have used software to make my computer stealth so ping away.

jp

why the hell would you wish to change to a statci ip?!!??!

do you realise how much of a security problem this can cause, esspecially if your allways on

find out some info on static ip before you decide to do it, why do you want to do it anyway - any benifits?

cs

I have a static IP as far as I know. I haven't got it memorized, but whenever i look at it, it's the same.

In a cavern, in a canyon,
    Excavating for a mine,
    Dwelt a miner, forty-niner
    And his daughter Clementine.
    Oh my darling, Clementine

The ease of configurability for DSL changes from provider to provider ... Mine - very simple - it's an always on connection - I use dallas.net for my provider and they charge very little for static IPs ... a friend of mine uses Mindspring for her DSL provider and that's gotta be the most honked up 'always on' connection I've ever seen ... I have friends who use @home cable service and only a very few of them are able to obtain static IPs (though those with dynamic IPs have been known to grab the same IP for more than a year) ... it just varies from provider to provider ~ As Agent V said in one post somewhere (paraphrasing, sorry) - Knowledge is the key ~ do your research.

Firmly Fastened to the Milk Sac of Misanthropy
    Originally posted by CrashedStar
    why the hell would you wish to change to a statci ip?!!??!

do you realise how much of a security problem this can cause, esspecially if your allways on

find out some info on static ip before you decide to do it, why do you want to do it anyway - any benifits?

cs
    He's trying to run a server off his dynamic DSL connection. As far as we know, a server would require a static IP.

Is there a way he can get around this? (I'm curious, too)

Sem.

In a cavern, in a canyon,
    Excavating for a mine,
    Dwelt a miner, forty-niner
    And his daughter Clementine.
    Oh my darling, Clementine

dynamic dns service?