A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: - - FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS - - THE ANSWERS - -

Señor member
    Hopefully this will prove of some use to the newer members in here or those that had never thought of it..

There are countless questions on "how do I do ..... etc" with regards to post counts, images, smilies etc so you can add this to "your FK" for future reference for your posting pleasure at FK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to insert an image into your post

In your reply, use the following code:

[*img]http://www.yourimagehost.com/yourimagefolder/yourimage.jpg[*/url]

Make sure you remove the *'s when you post though - they are here because if you don't put them in, the board will search for an image as the link will be "live" but for the purpose of this, I've used *'s otherwise you get a nice little red cross like this

Changing the appearance of your text

To make text underlined, bold or italic you need the following tags before the word you wish to use.

BOLD - this is [*b]your word[*/b] - Agian remove the *'s

underlined - this is [*u]underlined word[*/u]

italic - this is [*i]italic word[*/i]

small text - this is [*small]small text here[*/small]

Inserting a flash file

This will pretty much be used for your flash footer if you have one.

To do this, you need to add the following code in your post: (Bear in mind the size restrictions on the boards)

[*swf width="300" height="40" background="#000000"]http://www.yoururl.com/yourfooterfile.swf[*/swf]

remember to remove the *'s

An example of this embedding a swf into the post is my footer here:

.[swf width="300" height="40" background="#000000"]http://www.jameseyoung.co.uk/mousetrail03.swf[/swf].

If you need to test your footers for colour and function etc, you can check out the FOOTER TEST THREAD and for instructions on adding them and any restrictions by FK, check out ADDING A FLASH FOOTER INSTRUCTIONS

Quoting somebody or something

To quote somebody in an earlier post, you just have to click on the quote user tab below their post. If however you'd like to quote something else, you can do it like this:

[*quote]the quoted text will appear in here[*/quote] example:
    the quoted text will appear in here

Adding bullet points

To do this if you're creating a list of some sort, just add this code at the top of your list:

[*list] - this starts the list

then for each bullet point, add this [**] remove one of the *'s as a * signifies the bullet

An example:

[list][*]bullet one[*]bullet two[*]bulet three

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is the how to bit, phew, it's going to be my longest post ever

Now the more common questions,

1. How do I get a title under my name?

although you'll be told by many members that post count doesn't mean anything, many people still ask. My count is high because I enjoy chatting with people in the lounge

Here is how the member post system works:

0-29: New Member
    30-99: Member
    100-249: Senior Member
    250-499: Executive Member
    500-999: FK Board Crew
    1000+: FK Board Heavyweight

At 500, you can pick your own title and at 1000 you can also have a little pic under your name

2. How do I do "this" effect:

Make sure you check out the ADVANCED SEARCH feature on the boards before posting a brand new thread! It's at the top right of the thread on every page! You can be almost certain that any problem you're having will have been asked about and solved by earlier members so it's worth reading around a bit first!

If nothing, I always find I come across other useful information on non related problems or scripts etc while I'm looking.

3. Who has the most posts?

There is a simle answer to this, it's the enigma! (unless you count Jezza's bugboy admin account )

4. I'm having trouble with preloaders.

Use the advanced search feature above, there are literally hundreds of threads on preloaders of all styles and types. Most useful!

5. Where can I find a good host for my site?

Again, a topic covered by countless threads already but here are some good ones:

http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...79#post1143579

6. How do I add smilies to my posts?

A list of the default smilies on the boards can be found here:

http://board.flashkit.com/board/inde...on=showsmilies

If you want extra smilies, you should check out THIS SMILIES WEBSITE they even have links direct to the smilies so can copy and past the code for any extra smilies you might want.

7. How do I make a pop up window?

This is a very common question on the boards, it has been covered countless times but the best thread on how to do this is here courtesy of GreatGooglyWoogly:

http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...threadid=81151

8. Where can I find some cool sites?

Check out this thread for the most comprehensive list of cool sites available

http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...5&pagenumber=1

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, this should cover some of the more common FAQ's I've seen on the boards, I'm sure there are more but I can't remember them at the moment. There are help files and announcements at the top of each forum and they are pinned topics so you can always refer to them if you're stuck. I hope this helps in some way

Remember, if you see something you think might be useful to you in the future, add it to your FK folder, the button is at the top and bottom of each thread next to the "post new reply" and "post new thread" button. I've found this to be invaluable in my time on these boards and have saved me having to post countless threads to find out information.

James.

ScratchingEverything

100% Swedish

Hmmm,

I tried this idea about 3 months ago, to make an extra page that you van add in your footer, with answers to FAQ....I got sooo many replies lol 2 or something, so this time I am not helpfull

a very thorough 'article' there jamble, well done

what would be really cool is if you could put these things into a footer, a little flash library of these facts+links where n00bs could find wherever you post

Señor member
    I did make this a while ago but it only covers a couple of the things above The insert swf bit is wrong but you can now refer to the main post above now - Updated and correct now ;P

[swf width="400" height="200" background="#000000"]http://www.jameseyoung.co.uk/flashkithelper.swf[/swf]
    [Edited by jamble7000 on 10-14-2001 at 06:58 AM]

I thought this would answer most of the flash questions, not the flashkit board questions.

Still helpful to the noobs i assume.

Señor member
    Originally posted by killabry
    I thought this would answer most of the flash questions, not the flashkit board questions.

Still helpful to the noobs i assume.
    I will try to add another similar post with easy reference links to common questions like scrolling graphics, tweening etc when I next wake up early in the morning

cool tread , one of the best ive seen this evening, keep it up jamb make be some of u could make a collabiration poject to cover things like these.

Señor member
    Originally posted by phaty
    cool tread , one of the best ive seen this evening, keep it up jamb make be some of u could make a collabiration poject to cover things like these.
    Thanks for the kind words, if you think of anything that we could add to it, feel free to post. I can always edit the main post with links to useful threads etc.

well played spamble me old mukka!

bump

damit i need to make a col footer.

FK Official Mechanic
    Trust your mechanic

Ever so gently nudge to the top.

Originally posted by jamble7000
    I did make this a while ago but it only covers a couple of the things above The insert swf bit is wrong but you can now refer to the main post above now - Updated and correct now ;P

[swf width="400" height="200" background="#000000"]http://www.jameseyoung.co.uk/flashkithelper.swf[/swf]
    [Edited by jamble7000 on 10-14-2001 at 06:58 AM]
    that was very good jamble.

Found this little fella on page 2

flash kit should make this a tutorial

something else to add?

I wanna know how to make the actionscript blue and say code: instead of the regular black text.

you got to write this

[code*]

code goes here

[/code*]

of course you dont write the *, i put it there so you could see it.

Señor member
    Originally posted by phaty
    you got to write this

[code*]

code goes here

[/code*]

of course you dont write the *, i put it there so you could see it.
    ooops..missed that one out! I never use that one so I forgot it.

fact of the matter is you remebered the rest of them, thanks for that jamb, as allways your knowledge is most apriciated (<-------retarded speelling)

FK Official Postman
    Jamble...can i see the fla of your handy dandy swf up there (the answers?). Just started more in-depth AS and have been trying to fugure out how to scrool like that.