A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: scrolling text with colour + size

I want to be able to create some scrolling text that has diiferent size and colour. I learnt how to create scrolling text with a .txt file from a tute here but that uses default size,colour,font. Is there another way to do it and keep the different colour and size text? Iam using flash5 and my finished project will be for cd not web.
    pls help
    Thanks, bretto.

This might help

Not sure if it'll work with a .txt, but it works with my cgi script, so it should work.

I'm assuming that you're calling your text from your .txt file into a text box of some sort. If this assumption is wrong - smack me now, I'm wasting your time.

But when you set the properties for the text box that you're using for your text, they affect all text in that box. So select your text box, change all the settings in the font panel like you normally would, and that should do the trick.

If you're not calling your .txt into some kind of text box - tell me what exactly you're doing, and I might be able to help.

Cheers,

Tyke

thanks ill give it a go

I will call my text from a .txt file (that is optional) into a text box but I wanted the different parts of the text to be varying size and colour (ie an interview with the questions text bigger + diferent colour to the answers.) Will your solution allow me to change different parts of the text or will it change all the text at the same time?

I am creating the file in word (that is optional) but as soon as I save it as a .txt file it changes the text layout to default colur,size,font. Can I import another type of file other than .txt which will allow me to keep the style of text i want to scroll

all suggestions accepted
    ta, fizzle

hmmmm

Well, no - my solution would give all of the text the same look.

But I'm pretty sure there is a way to do what you're looking for. I know that I can make my cgi script tell my flash movie to do stuff when it's "talking" to a text box in Flash, and I'm thinking maybe there's some piece of code you can put into the text box to "translate" what you want your text to look like into "Flashese" so it displays the way you want. But at this point I'm really just guessing, because my exoerience with this is limited.

In the "scripting and Back end" forum - there are a boatload of guys who could probably give you more options that I could.

My suggestion would be unwieldy, I think: For each section of text that you want different, load it into its own text box from it's own text file. That is, if you're insistent on using a text file as your source. If you intend this material to be dynamic, then you'd want to use an external .txt

But if the content is not going to be user-dependent or interactive, then why not just format the text in flash and scrll it as an internal text box? That way you can format it however you'd like and still scroll it.

That's about the limit of what I know... eep

Cheers,

Tyke