A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: rotating cubes anyone?

Smile

hey guys...i'm sure we've all seen many rotating cubes out there, and lots of tutes on creating them, but so far i've only come across wireframe cubes and scary chunks of 3d maths.

I need to create a filled rotating cube that rotates left and right according to the direction of the mouse. anyone can help me? is there an easy yet effective way of achieving it? or must I start reading up on 3d maths...*gulp*

please help!

Well, first -

For creating the 3d cube - do you have a simple 3d creation utility? I use Swift - it's simple and easy to use.

After that, it's really all about controlling your timeline with user input. The 3d cube is just a movie clip. And whether it spins clockwise or counter just depends on which way you've got the timeline running.

I hope that makes sense. I would create two movie clips - one with the cube rotation clockwise, one with the cube rotating counter clockwise, and create an xy range in your movie that gives instructions as to which movie clip should be played. I know very little about actual actionscripting, so I fake it whenever I can. If it doesn't break, then you may not have done it the most eloquent way you could, but hey - it's not breaking, so why complain.

The philosophy of Tyke's guide to Faking It. Someday I'll learn 3d maths. But only when I run out of way funner stuff.

Cheers,

Tyke

Re: Well, first -

thanks mate....i'll give it a try
    hope it works...