A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: extracting photoshop layers to separate files?

well... problems that does not arise to often, but when they do... >:[

I got 15 large Photoshop files. All very large (150-200 mb).
    Some of them consist of several layers (up to 20).

I need to extract the layers into separate files, as they are collections of products (and I need one image per product).
    Fortunately, the guy who made it put every image in its separate layer, so its easy to find.

I know how to do it manually, but I do not want to spend to much time on it.

Is there a tool out there to extract Photoshop layers to separate files?

try it with actions and automate batch.

make a new set in your actions with a new actions, hit record then go though the process once of doing it manually, only do it once though go right from opening the file copying, pasting saving, closing etc however you want to do it. Then stop recording, go to the file/automate/batch part of PS and load up your new set of actions folder, follow the prompts and you're away.
    : )

close, but no cigar...
    the thing is, I end up selecting a layer, pressing the shortcut key and then naming the file when saving.
    I can't get it to go cycle through all layers and perform the same action on each layer - am I missing something?
    I really wanted to press a button and whoopsi..

OK, your actions need to be set up like this, is you cant make sence of it, email me and i'll send you a jpeg with how they should look:

Action 1
    > Set Selection (basically select all)
    > Copy
    > Make (make a new document for copied layer to go into)
    >Paste
    >Close (make sure you save here)
    >Delete Current Layer

and just keep hitting automatre batch and it will do it all for you. Its probably safer to make copies of your original files before beginning this. I've tested this out and it works so hopefully you shouldnt have any problems

Good Luck