A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash Banner Transparency on Yahoo! How??

resolved

hey guys,

check this out http://www.yahoo.com

There is this new advertising on the main page of Yahoo.com. It's for Compaq and it's shown on the right hand side of the page in red. When you click on it, the entire page becomes a flash file and the background of the animation is the main page of the website in a dim transparency level while the ad is layered on top. It's like the entire website is underneath the Advertisement. I thought it was just the actual flash file (like they took a capture of the site, put it as the bottom layer in the animation, and then put the ad on top, but it's not.. if you click a lin on the page, then go back - which makes the link purple - and then click on the ad again, the purple link is still there).

sorry if i'm not explaining it correctly :-) you have to see it for yourself to understand completely..

anyway, does anyone have any ideas how they did this effect? how they were able to layer a .swf on top of the HTML page? making the HTML page dim with the advertisement on top?

I apologize if the ad is gone by the time you read this!
    anyone with ideas, let me know! thanks!

angelyssa

A few possibilities

This is a cool effect which could have been done a few ways. DHTML can have layers that hold items whether they be images, text or flash. If you created a flash movie to perform how the yahoo site has it set up then you can place the movie in a layer over the html and run the movie. That seems to be the easiest solution. Another way is just using the z-index in html to place the flash file on top of everything. This is just an idea but I think it would work.

Hope this helps.

Hoolio

resolved Thoughts on DHTML

hmmm, I thought about DHTML, and then I looked at the page in Netscape, and it doesn't seem to work, so I'm not sure they used DHTML, though I could probably remake a similar effect using that. As for the z-index, I would have to research more about that, but it sounds cool Thanks for your input Hoolio!

More comments / suggestions are welcome of course!

angelyssa

Re: Thoughts on DHTML

I notice that The Yahoo ad only seems to work in Netscape and it does use DHTML. Found this tutorial on this site on making transparent flash files

http://www.flashkit.com/tutorials/In...76/index.shtml

Re: Re: Thoughts on DHTML

Sorry, meant to say doesn't work in Netscape