dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: needing a little help

im working on a simple flash nav for my site.. ive got it designed the way i want it.. and ive got the buttons and everything set up.. but im running into a couple of problems (both of them are pretty easily noticed upon viewing..)

first, the buttons inside flash all show the correct text to be displayed in the box on the upper right.. but when i upload and look at the page, it only displays the text for the first button touched.. any ideas whats going on here?

my other problem is getting the text to appear in layer i created in flash.. ive got the scroll buttons created and set up correctly (from the tutorials here) and ive got a text field in the lower box where the text should be displayed when one of the buttons is clicked..

ive asked around for some help but no one has responded to my emails.. so i figured id post here.. any help you could give would be greatly appreciated..

heres the site:
    http://www.failinglife.com/test/flash/index2.htm

thanks in advance for any help you can give

Cow Icon

Here are some possible solutions to your problem...

Load text from txt file using :
    Code:
    loadVariablesNum("text1.txt",0);
     if (_root.done==1){
     scroll_text=_root.loaded_text1;
     } else {
      gotoAndPlay("load"); // just 1 or 2 empty frames
      }
    text1.txt file content:

&loaded_text1=Here+are+some+possible+solutions+to+ your+problem...
    &loaded_text2=...
    &loaded_text3=...
    &done=1 // just to be sure that you load everything

Make txt files for every text you need...

download this fla:

http://www.kki.net.pl/~zeroiq/text.zip

ZeroIQ

ok.. im sorta new to this.. and i was looking at your example.. it seems to be what i need for my scrolling problem.. how exactly was that created? perhaps theres a tutorial you know of that you link to for me? hehe

im gonna try to just keep looking over it and see if i can figure it out.. thats always the been the best way for me to learn.. but this might take a while lol

also, how should the buttons be set up? i have them all on the same layer, each with their own link using the 'getURL' action for them.. should this be something different?

thanks though for the response!
    -collapse
    [Edited by collapse on 10-17-2001 at 05:15 AM]

You don`t have to use getURL();
    Take a look at this fla:

http://www.kki.net.pl/~zeroiq/text1.zip

See Ya

ZeroIQ

man youve been a great help on this..

ive gotten the scrolling part of it all working now.. took me forever to figure out what i was doing wrong.. but i finally got it to work correctly..

i do have a couple questions left though.. how are <.br> done in this fashion? do i really need to put ++++ forever until it wraps? or again, is there a reference site where i could look at some simple html stuff like this and what its = to in flash?

i was converting some of my html files to the text files.. and i noticed that after a while, it quits displaying the next.. does the technique have a character limit?

and in order for it to scoll you have to click the button and release.. and it goes one line at a time.. is there a way to get it to scroll as long as the mouse is over the button?

thanks again for helping me out with this =)
    [Edited by collapse on 10-18-2001 at 05:33 AM]