A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sigur Ros...I'm enraptured

I just heard of them today and I must say they probably make the most beautiful ambient music I've ever heard in my life. Radiohead on serious downers. The fact that you can't understand a damn thing the singer is saying makes it even better.

Señor member
    I found them far too depressing for my tastes!

never heard of them, but to relax i like listening to Jaheim.

Yah, they're incredible. Someone told me about them. I write music sort of in that vain, amongst other styles.

If you've not listened to them before, you definatly need to check out Mogwai, from Glasgow, Scotland, and Godspeed You Black Emperor, from Montreal, Canada. They're quite similiar, although Mogwai gets much louder and more sonic than Sigur Ros, and GYBE are maybe bigger shifts from mellow to all out assault. A friend says that Mogwai is music to die to, listen to them enough and you'll probably agree.

mg33

I just went out and bought Sig's CD today and I love it. Their music is so indicative of where they come from (Iceland)probably more so than Bjork these days..you can almost hear glaciers moving and moss growing. Will troll around audiogalaxy to check out the bands you guys are talking about.

Señor member
    Originally posted by mg33
    Yah, they're incredible. Someone told me about them. I write music sort of in that vain, amongst other styles.

If you've not listened to them before, you definatly need to check out Mogwai, from Glasgow, Scotland, and Godspeed You Black Emperor, from Montreal, Canada. They're quite similiar, although Mogwai gets much louder and more sonic than Sigur Ros, and GYBE are maybe bigger shifts from mellow to all out assault. A friend says that Mogwai is music to die to, listen to them enough and you'll probably agree.

mg33
    Godspeed make terrifying music..one minute it's all quiet and next your ears bleed from the noise

Originally posted by jamble7000

mg33
    Godspeed make terrifying music..one minute it's all quiet and next your ears bleed from the noise
    Jambles..is it this type of music you don't like or just these particular bands?

Señor member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by dazedandconfused
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by jamble7000
    Originally posted by jamble7000

Jambles..is it this type of music you don't like or just these particular bands?
    I'm not that big a fan of this sort of music in general, normally I like guitar pop stuff but I have been known to buy music of this genre. mg mentioned mogwai who I think I have a couple of 7"s somewhere and then bands like arab strap who are similar although not as noisy on the whole.

I hope I didn't sound like I was dissing your music tastes, that certainly isn't what I was doing You would probably like Arab straps earlier stuff, they've gone a bit off the boil in the last couple of years but the first album was really good.

FK Robot Wrangler

Sigur Ros makes amazing music though, as with any music, it's not for everyone.

in a world where music seems to be so typecast and prepackaged, it's always refreshing to know that there are still musical pioneers out there ignoring everything and everyone in a determined effort to record the music in their heads.

i' waiting for the mg33 album. very interested to see how the music is coming along...

Thanks Jared.

As soon as I'm not poor and have some money to spend, recording equipment is tops on my list. I've met a few people with bands up here in Chicago, already been playing at an open mic, just with my acoustic.

It will happen eventually. Might do some music for the site I'm working on as well.

mg33

Originally posted by jaredigital
    the mg33 album.
    I heard its crap

Jk, i'm sure you'll be able to pump out some good music in chicago

No offense taken jamble...I was just wondering as you were like the old man in the corner screaming "It's all crap!".
    Agree with you Killabry, it's not for people who aren't open to new musical ideas. I can't wait to see them in person.
    Good luck in Chi-town mg33.

Señor member
    Originally posted by dazedandconfused
    No offense taken jamble...I was just wondering as you were like the old man in the corner screaming "It's all crap!".

LOL, where's my walking stick!!??

Yea, Sigur Ros is dope. They do a few tracks with Mogwai and I love them.

I listened to Mogwai and I like them...very moody.

If you feel like driving your car off a cliff, Mogwai is the soundtrack.

The song Helicon 1, that is on the album ten rapid is my favorite Mogwai song. I've not been listening to them lately because I don't have a stereo in my room, and using the computer for CD's slows it down a bit.

mg33

Ambassador of Style
    Heheheh - they had a special on HBO showcasing them today, and I instantly went to Amazon! Good stuff - basically, it's the Radiohead instrumental stuff from the last couple albums - which means it rules.

The reason you don't understand what he's singing is because they aren't words! It's made up sounds and words with Icelandic influence. His goal was to use the voice more as a musical intrument than vocals.

-A02

I saw that too...and I thought HBO (a cable channel in the US) must be telepathic or something. They were really good and the audience seemed mesmerized. They apparently sing in a language they call 'Hopelandic'. It's sort of like the Cocteau Twins in that the words are unintelligible.

i saw Sigur Ros last year supporting godspeed (along with fly pan-am who are a bunch of the people from godspeed). i must admit i wasn't that impressed with them but i'm pretty sure its because they were live and their not really and band to see live. a bit on the quite side and they seemed to drag on. alot of guitar and bow action

godspeed ruled mind.

mogwai are nothing but cheap slint rip-offs!! <<them fighting words

dazedandconfused, i have no dobut that jamble was dissing your music tastes as he often does mine, wuss-rock is his chosen description. he is the old man in the corner.
    fortunatly its all good humored

Señor member
    Originally posted by tjko
    i saw Sigur Ros last year supporting godspeed (along with fly pan-am who are a bunch of the people from godspeed). i must admit i wasn't that impressed with them but i'm pretty sure its because they were live and their not really and band to see live. a bit on the quite side and they seemed to drag on. alot of guitar and bow action

godspeed ruled mind.

mogwai are nothing but cheap slint rip-offs!! <<them fighting words

dazedandconfused, i have no dobut that jamble was dissing your music tastes as he often does mine, wuss-rock is his chosen description. he is the old man in the corner.
    fortunatly its all good humored
    good humoured apart from the smack around the 'ed you'll get when you come home..country mincer