A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: //Photo Manip Contest // Whose the best?

Originally posted by aversion
    Originally posted by Chelle2008

a theme for each pic would be fun too.

my .02 ...
    i definitely think there should be a theme, something for people to try and express in their image. I really like that idea..

That is a very good idea.

We can choose a winner by whoever best associates the picture with the theme.

That's a very good idea Chelle.

FK Resident Amazon

Originally posted by killabry

That is a very good idea.

We can choose a winner by whoever best associates the picture with the theme.

That's a very good idea Chelle.
    it was basically Aversion's idea. i just thought it was a good one so i re-stated not sure if that's a word it.

raising hell to the next level

Originally posted by killabry

Marcus, You say the competition was a total dissapointment and that all we could do is colorize, but i want you to look at MG33's submission and say there were to many restrictions.

With enough talent, you can make it nice, but aversion will run the next one, so whatever rules he chooses goes.
    i am certainly not a ps pro. inface i started using it days before this comp started. whats the point of having a the same thing again when i dind't worked out the first time? it would happen the second time too. all i am saying is some change in rules not add more rules.

thats all

p.s. this comp has rally taught me something. so i will be looking forward for some more of this stuff

Originally posted by Chelle2008

it was basically Aversion's idea. i just thought it was a good one so i re-stated not sure if that's a word it.
    i will carry the credit if its too heavy for you

Originally posted by squink
    Originally posted by Sem
    software? - photoshop.

Erm. Would PSP 7 work? It is a less robust (ahem.. inferior?) spin-off of PS, or so I hear. I don't have PS yet.

Sem
    I use PSP7, not ashamed of it either.

I have PS also, and I use it for somethings but to perfectly honest I prefer PSP most of the time. 7 tho, not 6.

whatever tool you're most comfortable with is going to be the best tool to use right now.

i'm sure that it's good to challenge yourself with a tool you feel uncomfortable with but PS isn't some mythical beast, PSP7 was just as highly rated by computer arts magazine for a long time, do you have a lot of the plugins squink?

i use xara x, a vector program, for this stuff sometimes, but PS most of the time, whatever the best tool for the job

filters? i dunno, just the ones it came with which are pretty much the same as PS's, some better actually.
    but I don't really use filters.

Some people make it seem like you need PS to be proffessional...but there are a lot of programs in which you can acheive great results...some newbies are wrongfully embarrassed of having PSP, but whatever, I use it because it works best for me, I couldn't care less what the "industry standard" is.

like you said "whatever tool you're most comfortable with is going to be the best tool to use".

Killabry,
    No problem...I wasn't quite sure how it would go over anyway, but that's just what I felt like making yesterday so I thought I would post it. The pic probably has more to do with my mood yesterday than with the original image...but hey, I expressed my mood using your image Anyway, it's no big deal. It's good practice for arguing with my boss

resolved picasso

[img]http://www.introspection.f2s.com/pic.jpg [/url]

I was bored - so i had a go :-)

-

i try again http://www.introspection.f2s.com/pic.jpg

im a fool!!!

cool! is that a night vision?

there is really quite a good show here, MG33 will do the next one and we'll just run it by the rules of whoever picks the image

I like that one kidpablo....nice job. Simple and clean.

- Matt

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    "I must be really bored to do this.."

Thats F*ing classic.
    This competition is WAY out of hand.

The next one needs to have a better rule system, time limit for entries, and an unbuased judging system.

This might be a good example of what NOT to do.

Old man of minimal posts
    Perhaps you could vary the assignment each week/month. - Post a picture, and then select a set of rules according to the image. For example one month you could disallow the use of filters, the next, you could allow filters but ban the use of other images, etc. etc.

That way you can please everyone eventually, and you allow different artists to demonstrate their areas of expertise. Impose a deadline in the first thread, and also set the theme for the image.

That way, you can keep everyone's interest, while still being challenging, but most of all, fun.

Originally posted by Highlander
    Perhaps you could vary the assignment each week/month. - Post a picture, and then select a set of rules according to the image. For example one month you could disallow the use of filters, the next, you could allow filters but ban the use of other images, etc. etc.

That way you can please everyone eventually, and you allow different artists to demonstrate their areas of expertise. Impose a deadline in the first thread, and also set the theme for the image.

That way, you can keep everyone's interest, while still being challenging, but most of all, fun.

i don't see the point in restricting what tools people use, why not let everyone demonstrate their area of expertise every competition?

i might be wrong here, but isn't the point of design, or art, to produce an image that expresses a point or a feeling or a belief... no matter what tool is used the best image is the one that expresses itself with the most creativity.

i don't think we should dictate how that image is produced, what the creative process consists of. The image and the expression is what counts.

i understand that people should experiment and try new things but i really don't think we should dictate what people can and cannot do. Face it, if you're not willing to experiment and learn on your own time i don't think we can force you to.

the rules should state whether or not we use extra images/text/shapes but beyond that there should be no restrictions.

I don't think it's right to tell people they can't use a blur or an overlay or anything. Every creative process is different, if someone believes that a hackneyed filter is the best tool for their creative process why should we restrict that.

i do think it makes it interesting to have a 'theme' to express in the competition, something that we are all working together towards. It's what design is all about, the ability to use your tools and your creativity to produce an image that expresses an idea, a belief, etc etc.

the different paths that people take towards the goal will be very interesting to examine.

my 2 pence

Originally posted by Highlander

what the hell!? if you go by those rules. you will be the only one in the comp left and still come in the second place

Well.. isn't it the point of a competition to be challenging? I think Highlander's idea is the best. It's a way bigger challenge to do it that way and it also encourages people to try out different techniques and what not. I know some people that just sit there using filter after filter until they get something that looks "cool." If you want be able to "fully express" your creativity then you can make a thread for that. But I think a competition should be made a little more challenging than "make this look cool." Also a better selection for the pic to manipulate might be good.

Ooh.. and also remember it's just a competition.
    Aversion.. you make it sound like we're wanting to stand over all the designers' shoulders 24/7 with a whip making them not use this filter.. or that brush.
    [Edited by Arse on 11-03-2001 at 03:46 AM]

Bla bla bla....make pretty pictures, period!

Continuing on with drunkenn posting!

Hahaha. Well you're doing a pretty good job calpomatt.

Cheers!

dean_phoenix

I agree with bry on this

Originally posted by jon_norris
    Killabry,
    Your pic is there...on quite a few layers. I tweaked it with curves, overlaid a copy to brighten it up some, did another duplicate with a filter on it, then put another original on top to pull some detail back out, added a color adjustment layer, <i>then piled about 20 layers of dirty grungy stuff on top.</i> How is it any different than the pics other people did? You didn't say we couldn't use filters...and you didn't say we had to do it all in 3 layers. I had a certain look that I was going for...trying to duplicate a style I had seen yesterday...and yeah, it's different, but I'm happy with it.
    Jon,

Had I not been following this contest from the onset and comparing the original image to yours, I would never had known that there was supposed to be a road underneath those 20 layers of grunge. Dust that image off a lil bit! I love the "look" of it, but it has nothing to do with a photo of a ROAD being altered, it looks more like a proof for a print brochure or maybe a design for website rather than a photo manipulation. That's the distinction Killabry was trying to make when he commented on your submission.

creativity:10+
    format: 1

On a contest similar to what Chelle suggested about a theme, you'd be the winner hands-down at this point, but on this particular contest it's way beyond a photo manipulation. If someone posts a "thematic design" contest that you should really be able to tear it up on that level.

Hope I haven't pissed anyone off
    Dean

Dean,
    I guess I just didn't interpret the contest the same way you did. It said "Who can make this picture look cool?"...not "Who can make this picture of a road look like a picture of a road?" I'm all for simplicity and nice clean images...and that's usually what I do. But I just felt like doing the grungy one at work that day. I was happy with the results and I've gotten some good responses on it.
    Just for the sake of argument, let's look back at mg33's picture (which Killabry said was his favorite a few days ago). http://www.mg33.net/fkimages/photomanip/image1.jpg It's a really cool pic, but where's the road in his? How is it that my pic is "way beyond photo manipulation" but his is not?
    I'm just saying that I could have gone crazy with the rubber stamp tool and piled up a bunch of images of one of the fence posts in the picture...but instead, I went crazy piling up layers of dirt and grunge. I just don't see a big difference here...

By the way, mg33, I'm not trying to slam your picture. I think you got some really cool results using nothing but that sign. I'm just trying to play Devil's advocate...