A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: //Photo Manip Contest // Whose the best?

dean_phoenix
    Originally posted by jon_norris
    Dean,
    I guess I just didn't interpret the contest the same way you did. It said "Who can make this picture look cool?"...not "Who can make this picture of a road look like a picture of a road?" I'm all for simplicity and nice clean images...and that's usually what I do. But I just felt like doing the grungy one at work that day. I was happy with the results and I've gotten some good responses on it.
    Just for the sake of argument, let's look back at mg33's picture (which Killabry said was his favorite a few days ago). http://www.mg33.net/fkimages/photomanip/image1.jpg It's a really cool pic, but where's the road in his? How is it that my pic is "way beyond photo manipulation" but his is not?
    I'm just saying that I could have gone crazy with the rubber stamp tool and piled up a bunch of images of one of the fence posts in the picture...but instead, I went crazy piling up layers of dirt and grunge. I just don't see a big difference here...

By the way, mg33, I'm not trying to slam your picture. I think you got some really cool results using nothing but that sign. I'm just trying to play Devil's advocate...
    Jon,

Please don't think that I meant to single you out, I was basically backing up Killabry comments concerning your submission specifically. Truth be told, I think mg33 and aversion should be disqualified as well considering they butchered the original photo. That's just my opinion though, and I'm not the judge of this contest. Honestly, I don't find much creativity in cutting up an image in the hopes of passing it off as "art". Again, people will disagree and argue about "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

Alot so far has been said about "real-world" projects related to a client request. If I provided a photo (similar to what Killabry has done) and the end result is something similar to mg33 or aversion, they'd be fired on the spot and I'd want a refund in full.

Jon, at least your photo is there, somewhere amongst the rubble, so I will give you credit for that. And as I said earlier, I find the creative design aspect very well done...even moreso if you actually "created" it and didn't "imitate" it.

Sorry if there was/is/will be a misunderstanding and hopefully a common ground can be reached.

Dean,
    No problem...I totally agree with you about the fact that if this was a real-world project and if one of us presented a picture like this to a client, we would probably be fired. I just don't think any of us took this challenge that way. Hopefully the rules in the next one will clear up all our "interpretations" of what the contest really is

dean_phoenix
    Originally posted by jon_norris
    Dean,
    No problem...I totally agree with you about the fact that if this was a real-world project and if one of us presented a picture like this to a client, we would probably be fired. I just don't think any of us took this challenge that way. Hopefully the rules in the next one will clear up all our "interpretations" of what the contest really is
    Jon,

Awesome! Usually I wind up getting into a huge arguement when I disagree with someone in a BBS. Finally the streak is over!

Your submission is truly a design-oriented one, and if another contest is started up, I would just resubmit that same image if it stay within the confines of the rules. It would be nice to see a contest with those kinda parameters start up as soon as this one is over, especially since alot of the folks here are chomping at the bit to show what they can do.

Glad to see that this didn't go sour!

ok, so the competition is over now, nov 7th right killabry?

i'll grab all these images and put them on my server, then get killabry to post a thread in the Cl.

there's been a lot of contention about what the rules of this competition should be. I like the idea they have over at http://www.australianinfront.com.au

check out their challenges, they one for flash, one for static images and one by invitation..

here are the 'rules' for their static image challenge, or visual reponse as they call it:

Visual Response is a project which promotes creativity. You are given one word, a canvas size and a deadline. Your submission must be created on the computer without the use of scanned imagery or photography.
    i think that we should be allowed to use one, given image, and everything else must be created on the computer.

i like the idea that you are given a word to express, we need to think of this less as a competition and more as a creative challenge. In this case we are using one image and one theme; which i think will help focus people more than this comp has. I think it would be interesting to see what people come up with.

check out the archives for the visual response challenge here http://www.australianinfront.com.au/archive/index.html

Aversion,
    Sounds like a great idea! I really think that having a theme in addition to an image would help us to focus. I'm on board whenever someone is ready to do one like this

ok aversion, gimme a link to the entries or post the thread yourself.

I see the next one as being more promising.

ay! I love that idea aversion!

ok, i'll put the page together when i get home, which will be at about 9:30pm sydney time, then smack it up in the cl at peak time

i'm thinking i might even create a site to do this stuff, get a mailing list of you guys and anyone interested and just do this every month, archiving it all on the site....

we'll see, mg33 is going to do the next one so let's rock on with that one

2 new entries from Leper..

I hope I'm not too late! I just found out about this thread last night, so I made 2 quick entries..

If you dont see the pics, they are here:
    http://www.verticalplantstands.com/other/rf01.jpg
    http://www.verticalplantstands.com/other/rf02.jpg

Both of them were created in photoshop, with no photography other than the supplied road pic.

There's some nice art on this thread! Good luck to everyone.

raising hell to the next level

Re: 2 new entries from Leper..

Originally posted by pbleper

damn! you got it man! that will win for sure

you will be the first runner up after me

good job i was exactly thinking of some thing like that but lost intrest...

Nice ones pbleper. The flood one was pretty creative. I really like the green one though.

Hi, I haven't had time to contribute seeing as my computer is broken, and I'm now posting from school. I'm on a slow connection, so if anybody posted a voting thread yet, please post the link here so I don't have to browse the endless piles of bull clogging the coffee lounge.

Thanx.

Good looking submissions.

I reckon I must be in with a shout for my effort!

Originally posted by killabry
    Hi, I haven't had time to contribute seeing as my computer is broken, and I'm now posting from school. I'm on a slow connection, so if anybody posted a voting thread yet, please post the link here so I don't have to browse the endless piles of bull clogging the coffee lounge.

Thanx.

Good looking submissions.
    criep! the bluman is waiting for you to post the link...

Well, I know that the contest is already over... but I may as well put in my three submissions for fun that I did last night. Oh well!

Later...

the contest already ended on 7th... what the deal? no winners?

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy out of hand now..

Smile

Just thought I'd post this....

Hope the image shows up....

does anyone look in the coffee lounge??

Originally posted by webprodesign

Hey.. those are pretty damn good.

To bad you didn't hit the deadline.