A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: ASP vs PHP

Question

Alright...now I have to choose I guess.
    For my project I want to make it so when you visit the page you see everyone else who is there. The layout is much like a checkboard and you move around using arrow keys. I want to make it so you see everyone else moving around the page.

Now should I go with PHP or ASP? What one should I learn? And what functions am I looking for?

Thanks a million!

Smile

My preference is ASP since it has been around longer but PHP seems to becoming very popular.
    What platform are you on, NT or other?
    ASP is native (and free) to NT, available on Linux and UNIX but it is not free.
    PHP is free but not on very many ISP hosts. From what I remember about PHP is that it was initially created for non-Windows servers and then ported to NT.

ASP does offer the benefit of creating COM objects which is essentially your own VB or C++ applications for the web (largely used for database work). PHP does not have this.

Your application sounds interesting and will require some interesting coding and will have some hairy processor issues, if there are many people accessing this app. at once.

Good Luck!

--
    Cheers,
    L. Drolet

I am an ex-ASP guy (still use it for CDO stuff though). All new projects I use PHP. PHP to put it simply is easier and faster to develop web apps with. Its many built in functions makes it dream when working with databases. PHP "natively" supports every database you can think of and is especially tied well to MySQL the hottest relational database out. The other post states that not may ISP's support PHP. Hmmmm, lets see, 60% off all web servers are running Apache. ASP is not yet free on Apache--- PHP is -- you do the math.

Christian

You have first to consider the web server:
    ASP = only for NT
    PHP = Both Unix and NT

Personally, I think php is better. The programming is like C programming, but with a lot of usefull functions. If you have to access a database server use php, it have native access to many DBMS (with ASP you probably must BUY a ODBC driver).
    I have no experience with ASP, because ASP has a big problem: was developed by Microsoft... and my experience with MS products is like a nigthmare

i have not worked with ASP yet ...

but i can say that php works really nice
    its easy, quick and cheap

and i doubt that any good isp will not have php installed ... if they allow scripting, they must have php installed or they simply suck

Lightbulb

Another server-side "scripting" language that's going to really take off soon in Java Server Pages, an ASP type clone using Java. The JSP compile on the fly into Java Servlets, and can tie into all the cool stuff Java does. (http://java.sun.com)

But it's very hard finding a reasonably priced ISP (30/mo or less) that supports it right now, since it's so new. Believe me, I've looked. But Apache is working on a JSP/Servlet bolt-on to their webserver, so I expect that to change within 6 months.

So.. PHP or ASP? I would recommend ASP if you are wanting to get a job doing web development. Lots of corporate webservers use Microsoft (especially in their intranets) and ASP is a given there. Also, you have the opportunity to grow into COM objects, offering better performance for large websites and complex tasks. There are a couple free hosting sites with ASP (but not COM objects) www.webhostme.com is I believe one of them.

If you're looking for a free/cheap way to add some server-side capability, then PHP is certainly an option. It may grow into a more robust professional tool, but currently it's ASP for the Microsoft types, and CGI/Java for the Non/Anti-Microsoft types that are for the big sites with millions of hits.