A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Running an exe file from a Mac projector

I'm trying to link to an exe file which is NOT in the same directory as the projector file.

This works for Windows, but not for macintosh:

on (release) {
    fscommand ("exec", "software\\star_office51\\documentation\\starsetup .EXE");
    }

Macs don't use exe's so you won't ever be able to run it on a mac.

Originally posted by ci-berpages
    Macs don't use exe's so you won't ever be able to run it on a mac.
    Sorry - I should have been more specific. I realise Macs don't use EXEs - I'm actually trying to initiate a the Eudora installer package using the fscommand EXEC. This works fine when the installer is in the same folder as the Flash projector, but not when in a separate folder.

What I'm really after is the syntax to tell the fscommand EXEC to go to a particular folder and then run the installer.

What you do is write an applscript to do this then access the applescript from the exec commnd-

in other words you will have to write 2 completly diffrent files- 1 for mac and 1 for PC- however you would have to do that anyhow.

Path it to the file. Say you are on the desktop and you want to open a file called Flash thats in the Flash 5 folder in the macintosh hd do this Macintosh HD:Flash 5:Flash On macs you use : instead of \

Path it to the file. Say you are on the desktop and you want to open a file called Flash thats in the Flash 5 folder in the macintosh hd do this Macintosh HD:Flash 5:Flash On macs you use : instead of \
    Thanks for your reply. I've tried : instead of \\ with no success.

where is you application located? is it on the cd or on the hard drive?

where is you application located? is it on the cd or on the hard drive?
    Thanks for your response.

It's on the CD.

Works find when the installer is in the same folder as the Flash player, but it won't budge when I try and execute from a different folder.

Odd, hmm this is how i would path it, cd player name:folder:folder:file name
    No matter where its located use the cd player name, and the full path. That means you'll have to name your cds alike but oh well. Also use spaces too, what I find the easiest to figure these things out is to make a flash movie with a button and a input text field into. Then i call the text feild varr and for the button i have a fs command in it set to exec and the expression at the bottom the text feilds name. This is so i can run the projector and type in different things to figure out what works.