A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash Problems

Flash Problems

New pages to our website were basically listings of books. So I designed a flash headline using Coffeecup's Firestarter 4.0.

It works great in the browser. On my site it comes up like a drunken sailor..
    I have pored over the html, but as it is automatically generated, Ican't see what's wrong.
    I tried a few html validation sites, but their responses were too technical for me.

Help?
    Please

drunken sailor?

you mean choppy/slow/etc?

explain furthur

./m

Re: Flash Problems

Originally posted by jangeo
    ...I tried a few html validation sites, but their responses were too technical for me.

Help?
    Please

Post thier response here and I'll explain it to ya.

Evan

The questions refer to these pages:
    http://cheapst.com/firsteditions/
    http://cheapst.com/twenty.html

Evans X:
    I think I figured out that the problem the validation services had was with our lack of alternative pages for non flash viewers. I have the kit from macromedia for that, but I would prefer to get the flash working right first

Another service said the lack of a line before the opening html tag should indicate language version (i.e.html 3.2, 4.0strict, etc.) As I use auto html writer (claris & coffee cup) I don't know what if any other info is needed.

Mbenney:
    Second matter: yes, the flash is both slow and choppy. Look at it on the above website. I tried speeding up the frame rate (highest was 30), no good. I tried shortening the length of the frames to achieve the motion, no good.
    I tried using an abbreviated html paste in (from claris) instead of coffee cup's long-winded urls with version info, etc.
    I've been working at this for a week or more;other it bulletin boards had no answers (one at least led to this board)

None of these has worked.

Help?
    Grateful for any.
    jangeo

one of the following may be the problem with your flash being choppy or slow

a:You may have a slower processor like me but your flash looks good on mine.

or

b:If you don't have a preloader it will try to "stream" your flash. It will play the frames as they download one by one. I'm not sure if this is the problem either I didn't see a loading screen but, I am on a cable modem(it may have gone by too fast..)

I hope this helps somewhat

Originally posted by sintech

or

b:If you don't have a preloader it will try to "stream" your flash. It will play the frames as they download one by one. I'm not sure if this is the problem either I didn't see a loading screen but, I am on a cable modem(it may have gone by too fast..)

i agree, the impression i get is that its streaming, add a small prealoder to get over this problem, you will see that if you rewnd the movei after it has platyed the first time then the animation is much more smooth, its a small file obviouly so maybe a preloader is not needed, it depends what your audience is, those with low or high bandwithd, whatever you choose the soliution is very simple.

./m

Originally posted by mbenney

or

I am on dial up (earthlink) no speedy cable available here in deep woods.
    Computer is 800mg athlon, or are you talking about video?

And: okay no question too dumb? What is a preloader? Or, better yet, where to find it?
    I am guessing CoffeeCup firestarter is not going to cut it.
    Suggestions? (please not macroprice macromedia)

i agree, the impression i get is that its streaming, add a small prealoder to get over this problem, you will see that if you rewnd the movei after it has platyed the first time then the animation is much more smooth, its a small file obviouly so maybe a preloader is not needed, it depends what your audience is, those with low or high bandwithd, whatever you choose the soliution is very simple.

./m

THanks for the feedback. More details? The html for the file is generated by the program, so is a preloader added or does it need an entirely different program? I have it loaded as .swf file (the alternative is proprietary ".fire").

Suggestions for reading on tutorials on flashkit site? I looked around, but so much materials overwhelms this newcomer. (20 months on a computer, 25 years running a business)

Thanks for help. If I sent the html copy, could you diagnose problem? Don't understand some of what's being said.

thanks to all

or

./m

well a preloader is a screen that is displayed while the movie is loading, it can display a percentage loaded bar and the like, this can probably not be done in coffee cup, but done easily in flash, ive never used coffee cup so im not too sure what to suggest...

./m

also... evans, the max footer size is 300*40
    change it, before the mods make you...

./m

also... evans, the max footer size is 300*40
    change it, before the mods make you...

./m

hehe thanks I was testing a footer I made that would load other swf's and randomly change my footer

forgot to define width and height
    all good now though

Evan

preloader for flash problems

well a preloader is a screen that is displayed while the movie is loading, it can display a percentage loaded bar and the like, this can probably not be done in coffee cup, but done easily in flash, ive never used coffee cup so im not too sure what to suggest...

./m

okay I can dump the coffeecup firestarter. "done easily in flash" ?? newbie needs to know details.
    Another program? straight html?

Change to another program? Suggestions welcome. Tutorials on this site for this sort of beginner ?

Sorry bout the messed up entries using quotes: this site is
    turtle-paced on my dial up (thought I'd disabled flash to cut down time, but?)
    Posting is still new for me: 20 months of computer use(but 20 years running my own business) means everything is new.

all help appreciated

jangeo

Re: preloader for flash problems

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jangeo
    [B]

./m

hmm.ok, now have a trial of MMeda Flash 5. It accepted my flash Files perfectly. I would like to work on the preloader for the flash on our site. Point me in the right direction? ("done easily in flash" gives hope). Looking at the program screens and commands is daunting:can you suggest a tutorial on flashkit or elsewhere which would facilitate this project
    APpreciate the assistance.
    Thanks to the webmaster for removal of abusive posts yesterday.

jangeo

read a tutorial on preloaders... and on my cable connection and p3 700 compaq laptop... no problems