A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Screen sizes...

Hey, I know this is probably pretty rudimentry, but:

Does anybody know the most common resolutions of different screen sizes or know where to get that info? IE: What is the most common res on a 17', 15', 14.1', 13' and so on...

I know what to design in and all, but just wondering what the most common ones are for full screen stuff (& to see how much they stretch from my design...)

Thanks in adveance...

Originally posted by dsmmg
    Hey, I know this is probably pretty rudimentry, but:

Does anybody know the most common resolutions of different screen sizes or know where to get that info? IE: What is the most common res on a 17', 15', 14.1', 13' and so on...

I know what to design in and all, but just wondering what the most common ones are for full screen stuff (& to see how much they stretch from my design...)

Thanks in adveance...
    most current computer monitors/displays (see the exception below) are a 4 : 3 aspect ratio, the same as televison. monitors typically run at for resolutions: 640 x 480, 800 x 600, 1024 x 768, or 1600 x 1200. there are variations, but they all follow the 4 : 3 aspect ratio.

the new plasma monitors, apple's ti powerbook, and the (one of the ?) standard for hdtv are built to a 16 : 9 ratio. i have done some testing, and the horizontal distortion is not huge. noticeable to us design folks, but considering the number of people on these types of monitors, probably not enough to worry about, yet.

i typically build to a 800 x 600 size, but it depends on the project.

hope this helps.

d.

Thanks for the reply...

I got the part about the design and resolution sizes (Plus the new ones... pretty cool and something I hadn't even considered...) but what is normal for a certian inch size moniter? Like I have a 19' running at 1152 x 864 (little strange size, but oh well) and can obviously set it differently, but what do most 17 in or 15 in moniters run at? What do most people set them to? 640x480 and 800x600 respectivly? Is that right? If not, any ideas?

Thanks

Originally posted by dsmmg
    Thanks for the reply...

I got the part about the design and resolution sizes (Plus the new ones... pretty cool and something I hadn't even considered...) but what is normal for a certian inch size moniter? Like I have a 19' running at 1152 x 864 (little strange size, but oh well) and can obviously set it differently, but what do most 17 in or 15 in moniters run at? What do most people set them to? 640x480 and 800x600 respectivly? Is that right? If not, any ideas?

Thanks
    hmm…dunno. i think that for the most part, 640 x 480 is falling by the wayside, and that 800 x 600 is the norm, but i have no empirical evidence to back that up. coming from the design world, i find that most designers try to cram as much real estate into their monitors. besides they like small type anyway. i've been looking around for some stats, but nothing yet.

d.