A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: America's attempt at keyboard domination

I am writing a typing test and am in England so my keyboard thinks " is over the 2 and @ is over the '

So I was surprised to find that flash thinks that my keyboard is in america and has the " over the ' and the @ over the 2

Am I doing something wrong do I need to set some variable in my movie to tell it which country I am in ??

My system is correct and every other program works correctly ie gets the country for the envoriment settings

So my question is how to I tell flash which keyboard layout to use and how do I find out which country my user is in ??

Thanks

David

thats easy enough... its not flash, its windows... go into control panel and keyboard and in there make sure it is set to:
    english(united kingdom) united kingdom

'cos sometimes it is set to:
    english(united kingdom) united states

For madtommy

My system is correct and every other program works correctly ie gets the country for the envoriment settings
    any other sugestions

David

Hi,

does this happen with ascii codes or keycodes?
    To add some fascinating experience, my flash player even thinks that ä (german umlaut, in case it does not display correctly) and the right shift key are the same (the shift key generates ascii) so I had to write code to check both the ascii and the keycode to be sure...
    Fortunately this particular project will likely be used only by a local audience so I did not have to worry about other layouts - but I do not know whether the mystery codes depend on OS and browser type as well
    I would not call this domination but ignorance - american programmers just cannot believe that there are other keyboards and even characters in other parts of the world. I recall Ilya mentioned that character code 255 does not work at all...

Musicman

in this instance I am using
    Code:
    tempkey = chr(key.getAscii())
    to return a string that I can then compare with the
    Code:
    tempkey == _root.test.charAt(_root.Typing.length -1);
    this checks that the user typed the key they should have (it's a typing test)

I'm not sure that getCode would help as this seems to be more to do with position on the keyboard than the symbol that that key represents

Musicman
    Any thoughts on how I can get arround this short of writing my own code pages and asking the user to specify which country they are in ....

Any thoughts at all might help

Thanks

David