A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: pretty postcards

Hi there,

I am hoping that somebody will be able to lead me to the right place to find out more about creating flash postcards.

I am creating a simple game which involves building a character from giving options - i.e. heads/bodies & accessories.

Then I would like to be able to insert a message and e mail a link to a friend back to an swf of the created character and the message.

Could anyone point me to a tutorial or somit plz?

cheers much

beezer

P.S. At the moment - I am thinking text files - anyone any better ideas?

Hi,

have a look at this thread: http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...hreadid=220783 - btw: I am actually playing around with a serverside tool to create a custom movie from a template by compiling the variables into frame 1

Musicman

cheers musicman - off to check it now!!

beezer

I think it's quite hard to do this without some scripting in a non-flash environment. Perhaps you could use the swift generator to do the job. The documentation provides an easy way of making flash postcards. You can find the generator and documentation at: http://www.swift-tools.com. It's no freeware but certainly a cheeper solution then the MM generator. I'm not sure but I believe you're allowed to use it free if you include their logo on your site. Another way is using a querystring to load the swf with the provided variables, you can find more info about this at:
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...hreadid=218817
    I think this should help you out, good luck,
    Shaman

adding vars to an swf

Hi there

adding vars to an swf is ready for testing here - open a swf for upload and insert variable names and values in the text boxes on the upload form.
    The movie will be sent back right away and has an actionscript block added to the very first frame that defines the variables you specify

Musicman

Re: adding vars to an swf

Hi guys

Shaman - thanks- I have downloaded the swift and documentation and am try to pile through it. - cheers.

Musicman - your stuff looks fairly cool although I am not really a whizz at the perl - (did you write the script?)

-What do you think are the advantages of using custom scripts over something like the swift generator?

cheers to you

beezer

I think, no offence musicman, the advantage of a custom script isn't that big, when you don't have enough knowledge yourself to adjust the perl scripts. I think musicman's app is based on the same princibles as the swift generator, swift gen is also written in perl. The advantage of the generator is that the documentation is extensive. The advantage of Musicmans' app is that (if not compiled) you're able to modify it and it's free.

Hi,

quite simply: not every server would allow you to install your own software - but since you need a scripted server anyway, you can easily add a php or perl (whichever your server supports) to produce and mail the swf

Musicman

thanks guys - i think i will still try to look down both avenues..
    beezer