A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: the dog's dangly bits...xml/flash site

http://www.homeofsewing.com

Check out the fabric keyword search engine, the intelligent history navigation, header transitions and the editable enquiry/order pages.
    [Edited by TechNoiZ on 10-24-2001 at 08:26 PM]

Nice polished site. I really admire you people that can do the heavy duty coding. I'd like to get into it but I can't afford the hosting fees, and my server doesn't support a lot of it. It's hard to learn when you can't upload it and test it. Very nice.

This site runs on a free ISP that allows no server-side scripting! All "activity" is handled within the Flash movie itself.

Are you using generator? What about database files? How are you handling the shopping cart and ordering end of it?

The databases are loaded from xml files - everything else is handled by ActionScript. This site does not yet allow the paying-for of goods - although this is a really easy step to take - it enables people to order items and pay for them when they collect:

The guy it was written for wants to see-how-it-goes before committing to a full e-commerce site; which is a good idea in his particular industry. It is really aimed at a local rather than global market:

Could you suggest how I could go about learning how to set up the database end of Flash. I am an oldtimer who started out using dbase III, on an old DOS computer, but I have no idea how to set up a database for web use. Are there any good resources on the net? I have Colin Moock's book on actionscripting, but he loses me when he starts in with the xml stuff, because of the database linkage.

There is a great series of books out by Friends of Ed, one of which; "Flash 5 Dynamic Content Studio" gives some excellent tutes on ActionScripting and database linkage in a variety of languages:

Well worth a look.

http://www.friendsofed.com/books.html

Thanks I'll check it out.

Sounded just like what I need, so I ordered it. Maybe you can get a commission.