A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: 2 things about the pen tool

I know how to make a selection with the pen tool, but what i cant seem to do is then copy whats inside the selection and paste it onto a new layer, photoshop only seems to copy the actual selection, and not whats inside?

also when using the layer mask, i can use the marquee tool to select a portion and i can then brush out just that area, but i cant make a more complicated path with my pen tool and use the brush to take it out, it doesnt work the same way, the masking doesnt stay restricted inside the pen path.

im not sure im making any sense, i hope someone can help.

-stone

Not quite sure if this is the answer you are looking for, but when you use the pen tool, remember to first close the path by going back to the first point you made, and then click the little dotted ball on the bottom of the path palette to "load path as selection". Now you should be able to copy whatever is inside the selection,stroke it or whatever! Just remember to stay in the right layer!
    Hope this helps?!

Sjur-K.

ok well i press the ball and load a selection, then i copy it and paste into a new layer and all it copies is the selection?

what exactly does loading a selection do anyway? i sort of know what saving a selection does.

-stone

Question

That should work on any layer! Keep trying, I had that problem at times.

yea but theres only so many times i can go ctrl C and ctrl v before going crazy, it just doesnt work!