dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Please help!

Hi group!

I am VERY new to Flash (currently using Flash 5) and I have been thrown into managing our corporate website. I'm not doing a bad job if I do say so myself =) but I do need some help! I have imported new jpegs to update our site and while they look great in Photoshop, the images appear somewhat grainy when viewed on the site. Also, my loading time takes forever, and the image is NOT that large. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

The good old bitmaps vs vectors problem, eh?

Face it: Using bitmaps takes lots of space. The huge amount of space taken can be taken care of in two ways:

1) Resize the picture and make it smallers. Flash saves the picture in thge size you import it. So, if you import a 1000x1000 picture but use it as 10x10 pixels in Flash, the large version is still saved into the .swf file.

2) Decrease the image quality (either from publish settings or right-click the image in Library and select properties). Lower quality takes less space and better takes more, of course... this might also be why your images look "grainy" - maybe you're just using a low image quality?

I'd suggest using the "Save for Web" feature in Photoshop to optimaze the image for some compression... that might make everything even more grainy, of course. You need to choose beetween quality and loading time.

Thanks so much for your help! You definitely pointed out some things I haven't tried yet! Would you do me a favor if you have the chance? Check out the site I'm working on.....www.allamericanservicesinc.com and let me know what you think. I'm still working on the lengthy preloader issue, but I'd still love some feedback from someone not associated with the company! If you can't, I understand....thanks for your help again!

Feedback on site.

1) Preloader could be smaller. This may help with file size.

2) Try limiting the amount of text on the plaza section and making the hit area larger so that the balloons come up quicker and you don't have to be so accurate.

3) This may be a silly question but is the site aimed at children? It seems to have a cartoon feel to it. If this is the case, excellent. If not, remember all criticism is constructive!!!!!

Flashdunce:

Thanks for the feedback...no, the site isn't aimed at children, it's what the client asked for. While I somewhat agree, I have to do what they ask =)

I'll try the other suggestions you made!

Thanks!