dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: do shared libraries download only once?

sucker for code
    Hi all,

I was wondering if shared libraries once downloaded can be used by different swf's or not.. As far as I know (and correct me if I'm wrong) shared libraries start downloading from the server whenever an asset inside is being asked for by an swf...
    Right now I'm working on a project with multiple swf's and I was wondering if it would make a difference when I link all of my shared libraries to the _level0 swf, therefore forcing them to download before they are actually needed. My theory is that whenever one of my content files starts downloading the connected shared libraries wouldn't have to be downloaded again, since they're already there..

Still with me?
    Does any of this make sence or isn't this the way it works?

thanks in advance

McbassTN

When you have an object that is linked from a shared library, the shared library library is loaded if that object is being used.

So, if you use one shared object in, say, frame 1... the whole shared .swf file loads into cache. Then, if you need some other shared objects from the same library, they don't need to load again since that file is already loaded/cached.

Many different .swf files can also use the same shared library and it needs to load only once (the first time it is being used).

sucker for code
    Originally posted by mTk

Many different .swf files can also use the same shared library and it needs to load only once (the first time it is being used).
    Right, I thought so..

Just to make sure... If file A uses a shared library it will download it. Then, when file B is downloaded (replacing file A) it will use the shared library which is downloaded by file A, right?

great,
    thanks

MC